Ch. 29- The Real Monster

"Now I will burn your back, I will burn you through. Though I am damned for it we too will lie, and burn."

***

I never wanted to hurt Elora. It pained me to do so because she was like me. A Fae. And I would never hurt my own kind. But I was forced to do it. I was forced to hold her down and inject her with not only the curse, but what weakens her to the point that she might not survive.

Every minute that I spent torturing her was every minute that I wished I was dead. Maybe then, I wouldn't have to hurt her. But she would never know that, not ever. She will forever see me as the villain that did this to her, everyone will. They will see me as the brother of the girl that they all hated. Sebastian will see who he hates most in the world through me. And I don't know how I feel about that.

I thought I would never see Ambrosia ever again. But yet, here I am, in the palace where Segovia used to live. And where she died. It was all the same, the building, it never changed once in the century I was last here.

I couldn't figure out why Sebastian offered to come with him to his home. I was the bad guy that shouldn't be trusted. At least, that's what everyone else thought. They all stared at me as if I was going to kill them. I wasn't.

"Sebastian wants to see you." said a voice from behind me. I turned around and narrowed my eyes at the male in front of me. He wore a suit underneath his white jacket. His name was Oliver, I realized. A friend of Sebastian and doctor.

"Where is he?" I asked, placing my hands in my pockets.

He let out a breath. "In his room with Elora. He's not living her side until she wakes up. I'll show you to it."

I said nothing but followed him. I couldn't get what Elora said out of my mind. My sister was in her mind, talking to her as if she was a real, breathing person. And then how Segovia would kill her every night. Maybe if it was my guilty conscience, but I wanted to find a way to get her out of her mind. Just so we can be rid of her once and for all.

I was now upstairs where there was a hallway full of closed doors. Each one inhabited by vampires, Oliver told me. I nodded my head in agreement. Once I was at the doorway of Sebastian's room, his friend moved out of my way. "You did this to her, he will never forgive you for that." he said.

"I don't expect him to," I said.

He glared for a minute before disappearing, leaving me to open the door behind me. And I did, but not before knocking first. It was his home, after all.

"Come in," he said through the door.

I walked in and the first thing I saw was Elora, laying on his bed with a blanket on top of her. Her eyes were closed but I could tell that what was happening to her was inside her mind. Sebastian, on the other hand, sat next to her, a hand wrapped around hers, his eyes full of worry.

I closed the door behind me and took a step into the room. He didn't lift his gaze off of her, so I talked first. "How is your sister? Is she feeling okay?" I asked. I know what it was like to come back from the curse. After all, I was the first experiment.

His head lifted up, his face blank. "I hope so, I haven't checked up on her lately."

It's been almost two days since we came back to Ambrosia. Two days and I haven't seen anyone that I met when I was held against my will to bring Elora back. They seemed to go their own ways and I couldn't figure out why.

"What about her?" I took another step in the large bedroom of his.

"We won't know until she has woken."

I clenched my jaw. "And even then, she will be different."

"How so?"

"I told you, the aftershocks of what she's done. Elora will never be the same."

Sebastian looked at Elora again, then whispered, "She's strong. She will manage."

"Not this time." I explained. "This will be her undoing."

He looked up at me again, his face ready to kill. I was only telling him the truth, he didn't have to get angry with me. I guess years of everybody lying to you does it. But I didn't want to fight him. Not again, so I changed the subject. "Why did you want me?" I questioned.

"I wanted you to explain to me who this person that is behind this," he said. "And what he plans to do."

I let out a sigh. So, this is the moment where I speak my truth after years of keeping it a secret. This is where I tell Sebastian Brevoort, King of Ambrosia, who exactly is controlling me. I sat down uncomfortably next to Elora on the bed.

For a minute, I was silent. I had to form the words as to what I should say. But then I gained the confidence to talk. "He's my father." I said. "Yes, he is alive and well."

"I thought he was dead."

"He isn't. He has been hiding out for two hundred years, slowly planning to destroy you and your kingdom."

I could tell that Sebastian was trying to calm down, to not get angry. "Why?"

"Why else, Sebastian?" I asked. "He wants vengeance for the death of his daughter."

"Then let him come. I've got an army and the strongest creature in the world laying right beside me." he said.

"You don't know how strong he is." I said, wincing at the very thought of my father. Segovia's father. "His wrath is far worse than you would expect."

He only smiled. "He doesn't know mine."

A chill went through my bones as he said that. 

***