Ch. 18- Dead Bodies

"Heroes and villains, we're all somewhere in between."

***

The first thing I felt when I regained consciousness was the hard wood against my back. It was cutting deep into my skin that the pain made my eyes open.

I was lying on top of the bar where they served drinks and I had a silver dagger in my side. How did that get there? I asked myself.

I took it out and flew it down on the ground, making the pain settle down a bit. But I couldn't deny that it hurt. And the crook in my neck from sleeping on wood last night.

I groaned slightly as I sat up, making it worse than ever. But it was the least of my worries. I slowly jumped down from the bar table and it was then that I saw before me about a hundred rotting corpses lying on the floor.

I must be living a nightmare. A nightmare that I can't wake up from because seeing this is unreal. Everything was silent, like I was in church or library. A shiver shot down my back.

Was this all me?

Yes, the memories are coming back. Bits and pieces of last night is what I remember. The blood, Sebastian, Ellie.

A door opened and I couldn't move to see who it was. I just stared. Looking at the the bodies. At all these people who had lives. Now they are all dead because of me.

When a hand touched my shoulder, I knew who it was almost immediately. After all, I did know the touch of his hands better than my own.

"Elora," he said faintly, as if he would upset me if he spoke in a higher voice.

He gently turned me around so that I was not looking at the corpses behind me. But it didn't help. My heart still felt like it was about to burst.

Sebastian put two fingers on the bottom of my chin, making me look up to him. His definite cheekbones and dark eyes as night are what made me focus on him.

"Elora," he whispered again, moving his hand to caress my cheek. Soft hands, like they were made of silk.

I couldn't cry. No matter how much I wanted to, the tears never came. Not once. I was numb. Numb to everyone and everything. And I just want to stop feeling this way.

"Why are you being nice to me? You should hate me for what I did last night," I finally said.

His head tilted and he looked at me with a confused expression, as though it was absurd of what I told him. "I should," he started to say. His hand let go of mine as he backed up a little. "I should hate you even when you deserve it." Sebastian lowered his head. "But the truth is, I don't. How could I hate you when you are the reason that made my heart start to beat?"

I blinked, unaware that he was going to say that. It seems that way every time I talk to him. Whether we are together or not.

"Yes, I wanted to get you back for what you did. In fact, I left early to do that exact thing." he admitted.

I narrowed my eyes. "Sebastian, you don't have-," I said, but he cut me off.

"No, I need to tell you the truth," he argued. "And the truth is that I did try to get you back in anger and jealousy, but I failed. I couldn't go through with it because I realize that this is not you. This is not the Elora I fell in love with. The one I see my future with."

Sebastian's last words made me catch my breath. He sighed as he ruffled his hair, making it more messy than it was already. I stood there, unable to say anything until he could not take the silence anymore.