Ch. 26- Get Her Back

"I like the scars because I like the stories. Bravery, stupidity, pain -- none of them come free."

***

It didn't take long before all three of us were packed and ready. I already had the arrangements ready for us to get there, to her old home miles away from here. It's just the matter of us getting there and getting her to drink that cure that was difficult.

I was just about to open the door to go into the car, when a knock sounded on the other side. Paranoia escaped me because I have not told many of where I was, certainly not Elora's family. Even though they know where this bookstore was located, I had not spoken to them in a few days.

I looked at my friends who were standing behind me, warily of how it was on the other side of the door. I gave them a look before turning around and eventually opening it. To my surprise, and a surprise to everyone else, it was Elora's brother. One I still have yet to get used to, since their resemblance is so similar.

Jasper walked past me, letting himself in the apartment that was supposed to be occupied by his sister. I could already tell that he was angry just by the look on his face. His pale skin made him weak when it comes to expressing his emotions. He turned around and crossed his arms. "You could have at least told me what you were planning, Sebastian. I can handle anything when it comes to my sister."

His voice was raised and I actually opened my mouth in shock. Jasper was always quiet, only speaking when he needs to. I guess it was because of all those years living with Agnes. He didn't want to speak his mind and get in trouble by her. Good riddance, that one.

"That's exactly why I didn't tell you, little brother." I said, backing away from the door. I had no idea why, maybe it was all those months after the war ended when everything was getting back to normal, but I did think of Jasper that way. And I felt guilty for it because my own did not survive. Yet I still called him what I used to call Christian. "You think you can handle her. But she isn't the sister you met in that cell. Nor she is the girl that I met on the corner of this very street."

His scarlet-red hair ruffled from his movement. While Grace and Oliver just stared. "I have powers, Sebastian. Powers more powerful than brute strength and speed like yours. I am the only one capable enough to defeat her." he hissed.

I clenched my jaw. Even if he was Elora's younger brother, he could still get his ass beaten if he tried to tell me that he is stronger than me one more time. "How exactly did you know where we're going?" I questioned, changing the subject.

Jasper only tilted his head. I noticed that he wore a long-sleeve cotton shirt and dark jeans with sneakers. He looked like a boy, but in reality, he was nothing more than my age. His life ever since Agnes kidnapped him reflected it. "Again, I have powers." he said.

"Okay, I get it." I said with annoyance. "So. what are you doing here? Did you come here to stop me?"

He smiled. "Gods, no. I'm here to help you, since you managed to get your longtime friends to help you. But the one you just met, you don't want to bother them. Especially if it's their sister." his voice was bitter. And this was why I liked Jasper. He wasn't just family to me, but a friend that I relied on for quite a while.

My sister came from the bedroom, her hair in a bun, and looking like she was ready for a fight. It reminded me of the day when we went into battle, when Ellie had her twin blades and was giddy with excitement. She looked at Jasper, and tilted her lips upwards. "Thank god you're here, we would have failed without you." she said.

"You didn't believe we were going to win before?" I asked her.

"Are you really asking that question, brother?" Ellie said. She tilted her head up. "No, I didn't."

"Thanks for the confidence," I said, rolling my eyes. "And the lying."

"A pleasure."

I turned toward Jasper. "So, have you packed for the long journey."

He looked at me with a questionable glance. No, I'm guessing. He must have stormed in her just so he can yell at me. I didn't blame him, I would do the same. But with more volatile words and some punches. 'No worries, you can borrow Olly's." I said.

Oliver finally spoke which he seemed lost in thought. Probably because Eleanor was now in the room. It was hard to stand sometimes, their longing for each other. Maybe I should just do both of them the favor and just pin them toward each other. "Why my clothes?" he asked.

"Have you seen yourself in the mirror lately?" I remarked. "You look like you haven't eaten at all in the past century."

He only grumbled and walked out of the apartment, along with Grace. I still have no idea what to say to her, I have been ignoring her for a while. Later, I thought. When everything is back to normal. At least, that's what I hoped.

"Sister, Jasper, are you ready to bring my girl back?" I asked both of them. Ellie only rolled her eyes, Jasper's face blank.

"If it means that this can be over, then yes." she said finally, trudging downstairs and into the car.

I looked at Elora's brother finally. Then he said, "You don't keep anything from me ever again, understood? Elora is not just yours. She is also my big sister."

"Couldn't agree with you more, brother. She is her own person and has been through so much, as much you. But right now, she is not and I just want to fix her from what I did."

He clenched his eyebrows together, as if he was confused. "What did you do?" he asked.

"My life led her to this." I told him.

"Sebastian, your life didn't lead her to this situation. Her life was already like this before you were in the picture, she just didn't realize it." he said. Jasper turned around, going to the door, then stopped. "We've all done this we wish to forget. I don't know much about you and what you did in the past, but I believe that no matter what unforgivable things we have done, we at least should forgive ourselves and move on."

And then he was gone.

It took me a moment to follow, but I had to gather myself again from what's to come. And then I walked out of the apartment, locked the door behind me, and went downstairs.

***

I sat right behind the driver. "We need to make a stop," I said to him. "I have to meet an ally of mine." I saw him nod his head as I gave him the directions.

Everyone stared at me. It was Grace that asked, "Ben?"

I avoided looking at her, so I opted for the window. "Yes. He's supposed to give me the cure, since he didn't do it last time."

"I hope you give him hell because of it." my sister said.

The road was filled with different kinds of vehicles with different colors. Not a pleasant scene, I thought. I wondered how Elora liked this city, I didn't know. "I have a plan for that," I blurted.

"You're going to threaten him until he agrees to help us." Ellie read my mind.

I only smiled at her. "Think about it. Who is the one person she might be afraid of right now?" I questioned.

Ellie snorted. "Sometimes I wonder what's inside that little mind of yours, Sebastion."

"Many things you shouldn't know, sister."

"She's not going to forgive you for it, friend." said Oliver, who sat next me, avoiding Ellie.

I turned my head to him. "Better to be angry at me than trying to kill me, don't you think?"

"Where exactly are we meeting Ben?" he asked.

"Neutral territory," was all I said. Olly was silent again, trying his hardest not to stare at my sister. I wonder if they have ever talked ever since she woke up. Even if they did, it would not be good.

And then we drove to the place where we were supposed to meet Ben. In silence. So, I looked out the window again and thought of Elora. Of what I will do to her once she is a back to normal. And maybe it wasn't the appropriate thought, I didn't care one bit.