Ch. 3- The Truth Never Hurt Anybody

"The wounds have changed me. I am so soft with scars, my skin breathes and beats stars."

**

Inside the house was the same as the last time I was here. With the chandelier in the entryway, shining brightly in the nighttime and high ceilings that didn't suffocate me. Everything was fancy, like in the movies, and it was nothing compared to my house. This house was sleek, hard, cold, while mine felt like an actual home. Warm.

But there was something...different about it. And I knew what it was. I could recognize it in a heartbeat. It was empty. The sort of emptiness that was in my old house back in California, where my parents and I used to live. The sort of emptiness that was in the air when someone died. I could feel it in my bones and the memory of him flooded back to me once more.

His dark hair, like his sister, and eyes the color of the ocean. He was different, not like Sebastian though, more like there was something about him that you wanted to know what hurt him. What was beneath those sad blue eyes that he refused to say out loud. And he never got to tell me what it was. Never again.

I think, the whole reason why we instantly became friends, what made me trust him, was that he knew what it was like to be in pain. Lost. Like there wasn't anybody else in the whole world that feels like this.

Christian's adoptive mother guided me through the living room, where there was a black leather couch in the middle and a rug the same color underneath it. The walls were white, and in front of the couch was a fireplace that had a flat screen TV on top of it. I sat down on an armchair that was beside the couch while Kate, that was her name, sat on the cold leather couch.

"I think your husband needs to be here for this." I say, placing my hands on my lap. She didn't say anything, but I knew she was trying to hide the beat of her heart. And she didn't know I could hear it.

She turned around from her seat, where there was a stairwell going up to the second floor. "Ron!' she yelled. "Come down here!" In a second, I heard someone walking down the stairs and it was a man, her husband. Christian's adoptive father. He was wearing pajamas and he had a tired look on his face, rubbing his eyes so he could wake up. Now I am feeling bad for doing this at this time.

He was much older with strands of grey and brown shining in the light and wrinkles around his eyes. I've never got the chance to meet him before and Christian never mentioned him. Just Kate. His name, Ron, looked as if he could be a lawyer or something that he could afford this house. I didn't really know.

I watched as he noticed me, and he gave me a confused look because he never met me. But he knew me, somehow. The older man looked back at his wife as he narrowed his eyes. "What is going on Kate?" he questioned, standing behind the couch. From his appearance and the way he spoke to her, I could tell that he never made a joke in his life. All seriousness.

She turned around to face him, while I didn't know what to say. "Ron, this is Elora." she started to say. "She's Christian's friend. The one I told you about," I saw as something clicked in his mind, as though he remembered. "She came here to tell us something about him." she finished, looking back at me.

Both of them stared at me for a second, waiting for me to say something. But I couldn't. Not yet. So I watched as Ron turned around and walked in front of the couch, sitting next to his wife. How was I supposed to say this to them? That the boy they raised is now dead? That he was the one that saved me from that sword? How was I supposed to tell them about the supernatural, about what I am, what he was?

"So what is it? Is Christian alright?" Kate asked, still giving me the same worried expression. I let out a deep breath, trying to get air into my lungs but it was no use. Why was I doing this? I realize that my hands were shaking, hiding it from them by crossing my arms so they don't see that I was nervous.