8~ Oblivious

It's half time and we're down by 12.

The school we're playing may be from the middle of nowhere but they're huge. A perfect example of country rednecks at their finest.

It's not that we were playing bad, they're just playing better.

The band begins their routine and the squad disperses for a break. I go through the crowd looking for the twins.

At games Saffron stays on the sidelines with me, wearing a little cheer uniform and bossing us around. The twins get to go run and play with the other kids as long as we check in after every quarter.

Ella takes Saffron to the bathroom while I go on the twin hunt, annoyed that they didn't find me.

I pass though jumbles of middle schoolers trying to look cool, taking selfies, and getting involved in pointless drama. Laughing at the thought that this used to be me, I spot Sterling and Sam throwing a football with a few other guys, unaware that it's halftime. As I get closer I notice Silver's nowhere in sight.

Sterling spots me and I see a flash of panic in his face before he replaces it with a smile. A forced and very fake smile.

"Where's your brother?" I ask, giving both of them a hug.

"In the locker room, probably getting his ass chewed right now." He offers.

Smartass

"I meant your other brother." I deadpan.

False surprise lights up his face. "Oh that one. He's in the-"

"Bathroom." Sam finishes for him hurriedly.

I raise a brow at them, neither one willing to met my eye. "Ok, I'm gonna go look for him."

Their eyes bulge out of their heads.

"Why would you do that?" Sterling asks, trying to step in front of me.

I step around him, "Because it's a privilege for you two to be allowed to roam at these games and if I don't see both of you after every quarter then you'll lose that's privilege. Now stay here while I walk around."

He tries to go after me again but Sam holds him back, a pained expression on his face. I walk towards the bathroom with a new purpose. What is up with those three and their secrets? Never before have they tried to hide something from me. I make a mental note to talk to Sage about it later.

As I near the bathroom movement catches my eye from underneath the bleachers. I look to find what appears to be Silver sitting next to another person deep in conversation. The pair close together to keep others from hearing.

"Silver Sea, is that you?" I demand, walking towards the figures. Yes, I brought out the middle name.

They stop moving and my brother looks back at me, I can hear his shocked gasp from here. "Hey, Scarlett."

He walks towards me, his hair slightly messed up. The other kid stands up and I recognize him to be Wilson, the same kid Sterling swears hit Silver on purpose.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. Taking note of how he chews on his thumb, something he only does when he's nervous.

"I went to the bathroom and then Wilson and I just got to... talking." He says, sounding a little confused with his own statement. Wilson only offers me a smile.

I honestly have no idea what to think about this. The stories matched up but they could've texted or done the freaky twin thingy.

"Well you missed check in and I got worried." I inform him, not letting it show that I think something's off. "You know the deal, you and Sterling are supposed to stay together."