46~ Play Ball

I haven't been able to eat all day.

I also haven't slept well since Saturday night, the lack of Ashton a noticeable problem but I'm surviving somehow. After a day of passing through classes I'm sitting in Ashton's truck, enjoying the few minutes we have before it's time to drive to Steinborn.

"Are you sure you should go tonight?" He asks, playing with my hair.

I nod my head, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. Ashton already forced me to nap at lunch and in study hall. While I would love to sleep again even he can't calm the nerves I'm feeling.

"Absolutely." There's no way in hell I'm letting Sage out of my sight tonight.

I tense up, waiting for a fight but he just sighs. "I figured that's what you'd say, just promise me you'll be careful."

"I plan on watching my manners."

I don't think I'll be saying a word tonight. Whatever I can do to draw the least amount of attention. He kisses my cheek and I'm about to face him when there's a knock on my window.

Moving back over to my seat I roll my window down, Gabe waiting on the other side. "Hey."

He waves, offering me a fry from his McDonalds bag. Knowing he won't say anything till I eat, I reach in and grab a handful.

"There's one more thing I don't think you remember." He says between bites.

I freeze, trying to remember some horrible detail but nothing comes to mind.

"The field, that's where we're playing." He adds cautiously.

Dropping the fries, I panic, maybe it's better if I stay here after all.

"What field?" Ashton asks, grabbing my empty hand.

Gabe opens his mouth but I shake my head, I need to talk about this. "After my parents died Uncle John rebuilt Steinborn's baseball field in my dad's honor. That's where they went to school and he was the first student to make it big in sports."

Back then the only school was Steinborn, so people from both sides of town had to go there. Now it's reserved strictly for the West Side, another public school was built right after my parents graduated and Riverview opened about fifteen years ago.

Ashton squeezes my hand and I take a deep breath. "I've never been able to see it and honestly I'm kinda scared too."

John built it but dad and mom designed it with him, he just changed a few things. It was their way of giving back to the community that built them. That was his first big project after sobering up.

"Are you sure you're okay, Scar?" Gabe asks, I nod my head reassuringly. "Good because the place is gorgeous, Matty would've loved it."

I flinch at my dads nickname, I haven't heard it used so freely since the accident. Gabe walks off, getting into Zevs car.

Ashton starts the car, finally releasing my hand. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

*****

I don't let myself pay attention to any of the scenery as we drive through town. Once the houses began to look older and smaller I close my eyes. It's not until the car stops and the engine cuts off that I relax, opening my eyes as Ashton pulls me across the bench.