Bonus ~ Wish

It's been a long spring.

There's no other way to describe how difficult the past few months have been. I knew Ashton leaving would be tough, I just didn't realize how... antsy it would make me.

"Good morning." Ella chirps, opening her locker as Sage takes her bag.

I don't respond, too focused on the picture hanging in my locker.

"Staring at that won't make him magically appear." Stella says from behind me.

My eyes take in the picture of Ashton flashing my favorite smirk to me out of the shot for a second more, it makes me smile every time I see it. "I know."

They offer me a pitying look as I close the door and I pretend to not notice. I can't afford to feel sorry for myself.

Avery joins us, offering me a long look before we both burst out with laughter.

"I swear you two are twins sometimes." Gabe mutters, taking in Averys ripped jeans and my chetah print skirt with identical Rolling Stones shirts.

"It's uncanny." Ella sips her herbal tea.

"Where did you get that shirt?" I ask my cousin.

"I thrifted it, what about you?"

"It's Ashton's, I stole it." I say, adjusting the knot tying the shirt up knowing he's going to complain when he sees it.

He claims it ruins the shirt.

We just shake our heads as the bell rings, half of our group headed to literature while the other half disperses to their classes.

"Morning, Melissa." Gabe calls, taking a seat.

"Morning, kids." She offers, trying a message on her phone at an alarmingly fast rate.

"Wow, what has you upset?" I ask, slightly afraid.

"Your uncle." She replies absentmindedly before thinking better of it. "Never mind that."

"What idiotic thing has he done now?" I push, I could use a laugh.

She hesitates but another glare at her phone has her spilling, "Someone has extended his trip until Saturday when he was supposed to be home this morning."

Oh, Uncle John's an idiot.

He's been working over time to finish up a bunch of work. His goal is to be done with all major over seas projects by New Years so he can go into his marriage with no distractions. It's a great idea, it just means he's never home.

It's taking its toll on all of us.

"This is the fifth week in a row, I feel like I haven't seen him in forever." She grumbles, putting her phone away as other kids enter the classroom.

"Join the club." I mumble as the lecture begins, my eyes wandering to the empty spot next to me.

It feels weird knowing that he used to sit next to me, moving his desk closer even when Melissa told him not to.

Someone shoves my arm, pulling me out of memory lane and into the reality of my phone ringing in the middle of class.

"Can I-"

"Quickly." She nods, pointing to the door.

I sprint to the hall, answering the call before the door can fully shut. "Hey, Charming."

"Workouts ran late, I have class in 5 minuets." He apologizes for missing our morning call. "I was just going to leave a message."

"It's okay, I'm happy I get to hear your voice." It's the highlight of my day.