58~ Mine

The court room is nothing like I expected it to be.

I was expecting to feel confined and nervous in a poorly lit room but instead everything is surprisingly open. A window on the wall to my left making the room seem brighter and bigger. It's weird to be separated from my friends, who are seated in chairs on other sides of the barrier but there's no other place I'd rather be than with my family.

Sage is seated to my left with the twins next to him while Saffron clings to my right hand, using an ungodly amount of force. For the first time ever, Silver sits completely still, too focused on the judge to fidget.

The judge reads my statement, pausing to push her glasses up on her nose every few seconds. It feels like forever before she finally sets the paper down and clears her throat. "Miss Rhodes, do you genuinely believe you are the best choice for your family?"

Saffron's hold on my hand tightens, something I didn't even think was possible, and Sage reaches for the other. Dave offers me a nod of support like the entire room isn't staring at me.

"Yes, your honor. I believe no one else is able to love and care for them the way I could." I tell her, ignoring the fact that my entire body is shaking.

It's safe to say public speaking still isn't my thing.

"Well then, I'm happy to announce you as the official guardian of the Rhodes children." She offers after what feels like an eternity, hitting her gavel with a wide smile on her face.

I'm tackled into a hug, the five of us clinging to each other for dear life. No more fear or worry. No more going through people or cutting corners.

They're mine.

We sit there for a while, finally allowing ourselves to breathe. Sage pulls away to wipe his face, "Thank you."

An odd mixture of a laugh and sob escapes my mouth as I move his hair out of his face. "I love you."

Turning to Sterling, who's pressed against my side, I brush his cheek. "I love you."

Silver tries to hide the fact he's crying but I catch his hand, drying the tears for him. "I love you."

Bending over, I pick Saffron up, not caring how difficult it is to carry her in heels. "I love you, Squirt."

She clings to my neck, getting snot in my hair. "I love you more."

I don't think that's possible but I smile, keeping her in my arms as we walk out of the courthouse.

Once we're outside everyone goes crazy, Ella demands a million pictures through her tears. I don't protest, stepping back to watch the scene around me.

Kim and Liz are talking while their husbands try to hide the fact that they were crying. Ricardo and John stand off to the side, watching the twins chase Ronnie and Saffron around with fond smiles on their faces. Carmen and Emmanuel talk with Gabe and RJ, who flew home from college just for this moment. Stella and James help Ella wrangle the twins in for pictures, Sage and Sam standing off to the side waiting patiently.

Everyone that's important in my life is here, except for one person.

Almost on cue arms warp around me, pulling me into a solid surface. "I'm so proud of you."

I smile, too happy with my life to even roll my eyes, looking back I flick his nose. "Mister McClain, you're now technically dating a teen mom. What do you have to say about that?"

Amusement dances in his eyes, "I think it's wonderful. She's pretty hot for a mom."

Rolling my eyes, I kiss him, interrupted by the sound of a camera.