15~Chicken

My feet pound against the pavement, echoing through my ears.

My body protests with every step but I don't stop. I don't want to see Ashton. I'm mad at him. He had the audacity to kiss me then kiss my backstabbing cousin.

Ok, I may have kissed him first but that's beside the point.

On top of that, the comment Bennett made about my pills rings through my mind. Ashton didn't know about that but now he does. I end up inside a park that connects to his neighborhood, slowing to a walk in order to blend in. Finding a bench and sitting down, I drag my knees to my chest.

Why is he at Ronnie's house?

Liz said she had an older son and she was at the game. But Ashton was in the elementary school office on a Monday, Ronnie didn't start till Thursday. And they have two completely different last names.

It all meshes together in my mind.

"Scarlett." A voice says from beside me. I know who it belongs to, I just don't want to look

"Sweetheart." He tries again gently. 

I push my glasses up on my nose. "Go away, Ashton."

Instead he sits down next to me, thankfully keeping some distance. We sit in silence for a while, he clearly doesn't know what to say and I don't have any words for him.

"Ronnie's my half sister." He begins. "Her Dad, Mark, is my step father. My mom met him when I was six. My actual father left before I was born, he didn't want me or my mom. Mark in every way is undeniably my real dad."

He looks at me for a reaction but I just stare at him, he takes it as an invitation to go on.

"Ronnie was sick those first couple days of school and the office was giving me a hard time since I have a different last name then her. That's why I was so rude when we first met."

I think about Mrs. Z, the office manager, knowing his story is completely reliable. Countless times she's given me problems with paperwork since I'm not an adult. I just got better at forging Karen's signature.

"Ok." I mutter, a pang in my chest after hearing his story.

I  know this is hard for him to talk about by the way his fist clenches and unclenches. It's a peace offering. He shares information on his family, I share my own story. He would understand. Right?

"What about Avery?" I ask, hating the words as they leave my mouth.

He pulls at his hair in frustration, a pained look on his face. "She kissed me the moment she saw you walking back. I, in no way, shape, or form started the kiss but I finished it as soon as I realized what was going on. Not gonna lie I went into shock. It wasn't pleasant."

I raise an eyebrow for him to continue, not wanting to believe him.

"And at the party she was trying to make you upset. I told her to screw off and you saw, which doesn't help this situation at all."

I purse my lips in thought. Avery's a bitch who would do anything in her power to ruin my life. It wouldn't be the first time she's done something like that.

He leans close, brushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear, I don't panic like I did with Bennett. "I promise you, I would never choose Avery over you. Hell, I wouldn't choose anyone over you."

My heart flutters, no one's ever really said that before. I've grown accustomed to placing second in our life long competition. Instead of addressing any of the thoughts in my head, I search his gray eyes, nothing but sincerity and hope showing.