26~ Pretzels

I'm still fuming the next morning when Ella barges into my room, way too cheery for eight am.

"Don't wake me up until you're a solid two on the pep-o-meter." I warn from underneath my warm blanket. Seconds later, she rips said blanket off of me.

Since I sprained my ankle, Ella has been helping me get ready and let's just say it's been a very long few days. We bicker over everything when it comes to routines. She wants to do things to my hair and force me into very fancy clothing while I like to be comfortable during break. The only positive side is that if Stella was here I would be offered all black clothing.

"Rise and shine. We seriously need to get a move on if we want to get to the mall by ten." She chirps, opening my curtains.

I really hate myself for agreeing to go shopping today, the mall is the last place I want to be right now. Surrounded by parents shopping for their kids, hearing their laughter and seeing their smiles as they walk hand in hand. It's all one big punch to the gut.

As Ella turns on the shower, I can tell she knows it too. Her actions a bit too sharp and her smile a bit too forced. She's desperate to get me out of the house, to distract me. I scan my wall, pretending not to hear the water, my eyes freeze on a picture of my parents smiling back at me. I crawl out of bed, their eyes following me as I go.

After I shower Ella flips through my clothes, attempting to find something for me to wear as I do two braids in my hair, fighting against the wild locks.

"Isn't this mine?" She asks, pulling out a sequined crop top.

"Probably." I shrug, without looking. "You can have it back if you want." I don't really feel like bickering over clothing today.

In the end, I put on leggings and a braves sweatshirt with socks that cover my ankle brace and chucks. Ella doesn't even try to fight me.

I join my siblings for a sad breakfast of toast, no dancing or food being thrown across the table, a ghost of who we really are. I feel even worse when I notice the twins are connected at the hip, something they haven't done since things got back to normal.

I debate staying home but I know deep down we need to go out. Staying in this house will only haunt us beyond our limits.

We arrive at the mall after dropping Saffron off at Ashton's house. A mall full of crazy bargain hunters isn't a safe place for a seven year old.

Ashton is a welcomed distraction, chatting over nonsense as we maneuver through the crowds. I don't say much to him, only ever answering a question when he pokes my shoulder to get my attention. In return, I can't help but notice that Ashton's a bit too talkative. His rambling never stopping for more than a second.

He only rambles when he's anxious but I don't question him. He's not pressuring me. Finally, after he mindlessly sings along to Katy Perry, his least favorite singer, curiosity gets the best of me. "What's the matter?"

He hums, "Nothing." I raise an eyebrow at him, he scrunches his nose in thought. "Lets go get a snack, I'll tell you then."

I motion for him to lead the way, always ready for food. I end up at a secluded bench near one of the bathrooms, trying to create a game plan while Ashton goes to get pretzels. This is perfect, he can tell me what's on his mind and I can tell him about my parents. Win-win for everybody.

Right?

A ball gets thrown my way, landing in my lap. I look around for the owner, a small smile appearing when two little boys, around four years old, approach me. They remind me of the twins, holding hands with mischievous grins on their faces.