22~ Snowball

"Merry Christmas!"

Numerous people shout at us as we enter the Mackenzie household, the majority probably drunk on eggnog. Blue and silver Christmas decorations cover the house, the smell of Jane's cinnamon rolls float from the kitchen.

It's going to be a good night.

I take the coats from my siblings and walk upstairs to Ella's bedroom, leaving the loud chatter of the party. However, as I reach the top and try to fiddle with her door underneath five coats, I hear muffled voices and they sound angry. I panic and try again to open the door but in the process I drop the gift I have for the Mackenzie's, creating a loud bang.

Great.

The voices stop and moments later the master bedroom door opens, revealing Ella's parents. Their faces flash in panic before settling on smiles.

"Scarlett, dear, we didn't hear you." Jane offers. How could she with all that yelling?

I shuffle the coats and try to pick up the bag, extremely uncomfortable with the entire situation. "No, it's my fault. I wanted to dump our stuff in El's room since it's crazy downstairs but I...um ran into some trouble." I explain, lifting the puffy coats up for emphasis.

The couple stands there for a minute before understanding my words. Instantly, Dave hurries forward and opens the door for me while she picks up the bag. I quickly throw our stuff on her bed and find Jane extending the bag back to me.

I shake my head, "It's a gift for you, mom said to always bring something for the hostess."

Not that a candle was an amazing gift but it was something and it's her favorite scent, apple orchard.

The sincere smile that appears quickly falls away, "Could you please keep this little encounter to yourself?"

I look at the woman I've known since a child, for the first time she appears frail. I gulp and nod my head. Couples fight all the time so why did this feel different? I walk back downstairs in a daze, the question of mentioning this to Sage or not floating around my mind.

While I'm lost in thought, a pair of arms wrap around me. "There you are!"

I jump out of my skin before realizing it's Ashton. I turn around and for a moment I'm completely speechless. He looks amazing.

For once his messy black hair is combed with product in it. His black dress shirt fits snug, displaying his muscles on proudly.

"Merry Christmas!"

Merry Christmas indeed I think as my eyes scan his body again. "You ok?" He asks, leaning closer to my face.

I rub my lips together, "Yeah, just great." Get it together woman.

He leads me towards the kitchen as he talks about something but I spot Ella hugging one of her grandparents and I'm reminded of her parents again. I feel awful.

Everything's fine, Scarlett.

Suddenly, we stop walking, "Sweetheart, this is my Abuela." He says, letting go of me to peck the gray haired women on the check. She looks frail with leather like skin and spots from days spent in the sun but underneath that there's a strength.

It takes me a moment to understand that this is his stepfather's mother, not that it matters, and that I must look extremely rude just standing there.

"Hola Abuela, me llamo Scarlett" and just like that my Spanish comes fluttering back into existence, where was this during the Spanish final I struggled through?