31~Doomsday

"You know what tomorrow is, right?" Sage questions, joining me on the couch.

I don't look up from detangling the Christmas lights that I've been stuck on for thirty minutes. "It's Friday."

"It's also Doomsday." I drop the lights, running through my mental calendar, it's been three months.

"Shit."

Doomsday is something I created a year and a half ago after getting tired of a million different appointments. We pick one day to schedule everything. All the different doctors, dentist, now orthodontist since the twins need braces, and our therapist.

I really don't want to see Doctor O'Shannon but the kids need to after the anniversary, and I don't need any issues arising so close to the end of my sentence. After my parents died, the court ordered that we were to go to therapy for three years, but after I turn 18, I'm done.

There's nothing more I hate than talking about my feelings.

I grab my phone to text Ashton, we were supposed to hang out tomorrow. Something I foolishly planned in a moment of excitement.

Scar
I have to cancel on the movie.

I drop my phone, turning my attention back to the lights, even more agitated now. Almost instantly my phone dings.

Ash
Everything alright?

Scar
Yeah, I just forgot that we have a day of appointments. I'm really sorry.

Ash
Don't worry, Sweetheart, I'm sure the movie will be there longer than tomorrow.

I forget about the lights, thankful Ashton isn't disappointed that I canceled so last minute. Ever since I told him about my parents I keep waiting for him to distance himself, find someone that's somewhat normal. But he's still here and we're closer than ever. I never really understood how much my secret was weighing me down till I was free of it.

I hear a cough from the couch, pulling me away from my phone. Sage plays with the lights, a smug smile on his face. "So what's exactly going on with you and Ashton?"

I shrug, "Nothing, we're the same we've always been." Just better. I flop down on the couch, throwing my feet over his legs. If my ankle wasn't still injured I would kick the smugness right off his face.

"Sure," My brother snorts, "friends always cuddle in bed."

I grimace, remembering how Sage discovered us hours after we fell back asleep. A week later, he still hasn't let it go.

"I can't be held accountable for things that happen while sleeping." He raises an eyebrow, "It's natural human instinct." I defend, cracking my knuckles. He doesn't need to know we fell asleep that way.

I stick my tongue out, annoyed by his antics. I don't question what he and Ella do behind closed doors. We work on the lights, blaming each other for the growing tangle of wires. I swear there are more strands here than I started with.

"What's the big deal?" Sage asks.

"With what?" He better not be trying to get out of undecorating, Silver already tried to tell me it would be better to leave the stuff out all year. I think not.

"With you and Ashton dating?" I make a face at him, you've got to be kidding me. "Hear me out, Scar, you're ten times happier when he's around. And you're like his sun, he practically revolves around you."

I roll my eyes at the overdramatics of my brother, slightly flustered. I haven't even considered dating Ashton since the day we kissed, for the first time. "First of all, you're so wrong it hurts. Secondly, I don't need a boyfriend."