50~ Fear

Fear is a funny thing.

Sometimes you see it coming from a mile away, other times it sneaks up out of nowhere. Tonight I had both of those.

The drive to Jackson Memorial is silent, my mind focused on how similar this feels to the night my parents died as we speed down the interstate. Passing lights illuminate my skin, a brief break from the darkness.

I don't know when I started to shake, my anxiety getting the best of me, but Ashton unbuckles my seat belt, pulling me over to him. I don't try to fight him as an arm is thrown over my shoulder, rubbing soothing circles against my skin.

How could I not answer the phone? How could I not have been there?

By the time we get to the hospital, I'm a mess. I take in look in the rear-view mirror, my eyes already bloodshot from crying. Slowly, I wipe my face, I need to get my shit together before I go in there.

Once I feel confident in the fact I won't break down crying I get out of the car, running through the double doors. My footsteps echo as I sprint down the hallway. I slow down once I reach our friends, everyone minus my family sprawled out in the waiting room.

"Where are they?" I ask, not bothering to fully stop.

Instantly, they're on their feet, "Scarlett, I'm so sorry. I had no idea this-" Zev starts but I cut him off.

"This isn't anyone's fault." I assure him, trying my best to smile. This is no one's fault but my own.

Ashton joins us, my bag in hand. I didn't even think about needing my ID or insurance card. Everyone stares at me like I'm about to break, Gabe's eyes darting from me to Ashton.

Ella grabs for my hand but I pull back. "I've already called John, they're in Room 202."

I'm running again, not even bothering to be confused when Gabe's whispers "Oh, shit."

I throw the door open, startling the twins who are in uncomfortable green chairs. Sage looks up at me with apologetic eyes, I zero in on Saffron, clinging to his neck.

My heart hurts at the sight of so many monitors connected to her. The dull hospital gown making her seem even more fragile than she already is. She reaches for me, Sage getting up so I can take his place. "Scar?"

I lay down, welcoming the weight of her small body on top of mine. She's okay. "Yeah, Squirt?"

"I've never had so much fun in my life." She whispers, looking up at me with a toothy grin.

I laugh quietly, my hands rubbing her back. Leave it to Saffron to not even care that she's in the hospital. "I'm happy to hear that."

After a while, she falls asleep, her soft breath hitting my neck in a constant pattern. She's okay. I look over at Silver, who's fighting to stay awake, I'm surprised he's lasted this long. "Silv, take my place."

He gets up and I gently pry her arms from around my neck before placing them around his. I kiss both of their foreheads and Sterling's before turning to Sage. He gets up to follow me from the room, Sterling moving his chair closer to the bed to watch over them.

"I need to talk to a doctor. Figure out everything to make sure she's ok and to find out when she can get released." I begin to rattle off the list I formed in my head.

"I'm so sorry. The night was going perfect but the fire was smokey. At first I didn't think anything of it but then she started to cough. Then she had her asthma attack and we couldn't get the inhaler to her fast enough and then it wouldn't work." His voice breaks, tears streaming down his face. Finally breaking after a night of being strong for everyone else.