14~ Cutie

"Did you really think I wouldn't say hi after all this time, Cutie?"

The voice sounds just as I remembered, chilling and condescending.

In the doorway stands Bennett Kelly in all his sickening glory. Sporting his usual attire of ripped jeans and a biker jacket, a black widow stitched onto the back would be on proud display if he turned around.

He's the one who hit Sage. He watched me drop Saffron off. He's also my ex boyfriend. Instantly my limbs feel weak. The emptiness I was already feeling after my high at the game becoming even more damaging.

"What are you doing here, Bennett?" I ask, trying to sound more aloof than terrified. So far I'm failing.

Truthfully, I didn't even know he was still in school. The topic of dropping out used to be a weekly conversation between us. I assess the situation, unsure if I should be greatful or worried none of his groupies are with him.

He closes the only exit, the kitchen door, with ease before strolling closer to me. Bennett enjoys taking his time, after all, this is just a game to him.

"Didn't you hear? Gabe invited my team as a sign of good faith. Something about putting rivalries behind us for drunks sake."

I doubt that, even Gabe wouldn't make the mistake of inviting trash into his home. Bennett's the type to just show up, never wanted but always around.

He gets even closer, the cruel sneer on his face not matching his quiet voice. "Did you miss me? Because I missed you."

I most certainly did not, a year and a half wasn't long enough. I become hyper aware of the fact we're alone and no one knows exactly where I went. I just had to storm off.

"Stay away from me, Bennett." I ground out, moving backwards towards the counter top.

Someone please walk in.

He smirks, "I tried, but if my memory serves we have unfinished business."

My stomach rolls at the realization of what he means. Trembles shake my body as the memories of the last time we were together flash through my mind.

"Who told you I would be here?" I question, trying to distract him. Bennett loves to talk, especially when he thinks he's in control.

"I took a guess after watching your adorable show at the football game, that kiss truly was something. Your darling cousin only confirmed it."

I really will kill Avery one day.

I move again, this time my back meeting the countertops grimy surface. Bennett only a few feet away. Despite not being anywhere near as tall as Ashton or Sage, he terrifies me. What he lacks in size he certainly made up for in muscle. I've seen him beat the crap out of people that tower over him.

Don't panic, Scarlett, everything's fine. I casually place my arms behind me on the counter.

"Did it bother you? That I moved on while you're still obsessed with a sophomore year fling with a freshman." I provoke him, tilting my head like a cat with its toy.

He growls. Great, Scarlett, you just had to go there.

He inches closer. "Cutie, this is just loose ends. I don't take rejection very well." His voice is low and smooth, any person who overheard us would think he was a player trying to hook up with me. If Gabe was the perfect fuck boy, Bennett's the original model. No one would suspect a thing.

No one would know I'm absolutely terrified right now.

My hands roam the surface, "Those loose ends were tied up a long time ago, now I think it's best you leave before my brother finds you again."