18~ Wet

The rest of the weekend we stay at home, recovering from dinner.

Saturday was an art day outside since the weather was nice and we all needed to drain our senses. We painted for a solid eight hours without speaking to each other. Then Sunday was spent cleaning.

Our house was a mess and basketball season starts soon, all three boys play and I cheer. I'm literally the only person not excited for games twice a week and practice every other day until February. A total nightmare.

Now I'm walking into school with Sage while the twins take Saffron to class. For once, we actually have plenty time before school starts. I scan the halls for Avery, ready for her to watch every move I make with Ashton.

I really love my brothers tendency to shove his foot in his mouth.

Ella's already at her locker waiting for us. Stella nowhere to be seen, probably off with James.

"How was the rest of your break?" she asks far too cheery for a Monday morning as Sage engulfs her in a well needed hug.

We offer her a look that says it all.

"That bad?"

Sage lets out a dark laugh, the dinner still a sore subject for him. I get my books, trying to decide the most polite way to describe our dinner. "It was... eventful."

We chat about the rest of our break, my eyes scanning the hall for Avery or Ashton, dreading the arrival of either person. I've ignored all of Ashton's texts and snaps. Partially because I didn't want to talk to anyone but also because I was putting off the inevitable. I have to tell him about our parents.

Just not right now.

And Avery's definitely ready to start some drama after I threw her under the bus about James. It's not like his absence would go unnoticed. The fact that she thinks I stole Ashton from her really isn't helping.

While looking for Avery's evil face I notice Ana, one of her minions, watching us by the main door. Her eyes constantly shifting from her phone to me. Great, Avery sent a watchdog.

Sage and Ella are too deep in conversation to pay attention to me so my eyes continue to roam the hallway. She has to be here somewhere. Avery lives for being in the halls before class, everyone always stops to see what she's wearing or who she's with. People really need to get their life together.

Stella runs through the double doors at the front of the school, startling Ana as she drags poor James along. How she's running that fast in platform boots I have no idea but, damn, she's booking it.

"Avery. Headed. This. Way." She gets out between gasps of air, her face red. How far did she run?

"What?" I demand. Why can't my family just be normal and keep our drama private?

"Why?" Ella's asks confused.

Stella ignores our questions, "You're dating Ashton!" She exclaims, loud enough for the entire hall to hear.

Ella lets out a sequel of delight, slapping my arm. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Ouch.

Sage awkwardly scratches his head, trying to figure out the best way to magically disappear. Not so fast little brother.

I grab Ella's hand before she can hit me again, "Fist off, ow! And secondly, we're not! Sage doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut at Karen's."

The girls spit out theories about how true the relationship is, completely ignoring everything I just said. That's cool, guys, it's not like one half of that relationship is right in front of you.