Epilouge~ Ashlett

"Scarlett, it's time to wake up."

I blink, nestling my head against Ashton's chest. "Just five more minutes."

I'm expecting silence but instead he laughs, shaking me in the process. "You said that twenty minutes ago."

"Time passes so quickly." I murmur, trying to steal his warmth. No matter how many blankets I have the attic will never not be cold in January.

"It does, if we wait any longer we'll be running late." He reminds me, kissing my temple.

Immediately, I let go of him. I forgot what today was, Ashton's going to college. Without protesting I get up and walk to my bathroom, trying to appear upbeat. I've spent seven months dreading this day and I'm still not prepared.

Ashton and I go about our morning, a routine we've easily fallen into. He typically spends one night a week at our house, sometimes more, but that's not happening anymore.

"Hey." He whispers, hugging me as I grab my shoes. I stay silent, not wanting to meet his eyes. "Everything's going to be alright."

Offering my best smile, I kiss his cheek, "I know that."

I walk downstairs before he can say anything else, grabbing my bag on the way out. My house is packed with people, any other morning I'd be thrilled but today I just offer a sad smile.

"You look a lot better than I imagined." Avery offers, nudging me with her elbow.

Looking down at my ripped jeans and Alabama sweatshirt, I scoff, I'm a mess. "How are things at your place?"

She makes a face, taking sudden interest in her nails. "The same as always."

Ever since our conversation with Karen, Avery's had a lot more freedom but that ruined whatever relationship she had with her mom. If it wasn't for the fact the trust fund became hers at 18 rather than 21 I'm sure she'd be cut out of the family fortune.

"You can stay here whenever you want." I remind her, wishing she would take me up on the offer more frequently.

Avery waves me off, "Now that lover boy is leaving, I might just take you up on that."

As if on cue Ashton walks down the stairs, a sad look on his face as he takes in the crowd. Avery walks up and gives him a hug, "I'd love to stay and chat, Ash, but I've got a flight to catch."

I forgot, Avery's going to California for a shoot before school starts back up.

He laughs, hugging her tight. "I'll miss you, Avs."

She pulls away, pecking his cheek before heading to the door. James and Stella walk up, the latter throwing her arms around his neck. "Have a great time, but don't forget the message I sent you."

The flash of fear across his face is enough for me to slap her back, "I thought we were over the threatening phase."

She shrugs, "Just needed to make sure it was fresh on his mind."

James rolls his eyes, taking his turn to hug Ashton. "I'll be there with you in a couple months, dude."

"I'm counting down the days." Ashton assures him.

Oh, the stories I'm sure to hear once those two are reunited. Gabe runs up and throws his arms around Ashton, "I plan on visiting as soon as you scope out all the good parties."

I roll my eyes, something tells me Gabe will be visiting him before I do.

"Please behave while I'm gone." Ashton begs him, genuine worry in his voice.