25~ Fake Snow

We knock on the door at 4pm sharp, just as requested.

Sage carries the presents. Silver holding Saffron's hand while Sterling helps me walk up the steps. Fake smiles plastered onto our faces once Karen opens the door.

"Come in." My eyes automatically buldge out of my head at the ungodly amount of makeup she's wearing. I also take note of what clearly isn't her first martini in hand.

We all step inside and remove our coats, the house uncomfortably warm. I notice she eyes mine in particularly as I hang it up, it's the one of Ashton's. I wait for her to say something but she simply curls her lip. "You five couldn't have dressed any better?"

I suck on my teeth to keep from commenting on her own outfit of a too tight black dress. Saffron looks adorable in a burgundy dress with gray tights, Silver has on black slacks with a burgundy shirt and a black bow tie. Sterling has slacks, a gray sweater with a white collar and a burgundy bow tie peaking out. Sage picked out gray dress pants, a white button up, burgundy suspenders and a black and burgundy striped bow tie. He got mad when I told him he couldn't wear a crazy shirt so this was his retaliation. I had on a long sleeve burgundy dress that fell to the floor with black and gray accents.

The color scheme is not by choice. We got a text last night that important guests were coming and we were to look like a unified family. So burgundy and black were the colors of choice. And on such short notice, we looked great.

I didn't know matching suddenly made us like each other.

I wore small heels, knowing crutches would cause questions and flats would lead to snide remarks. I wrapped my ankle so tightly and took extra, less effective, pain pills to numb the pain. Not like my ankle will be the biggest pain of the night.

She doesn't wait for an answer, heading back to the living room. Avery is waiting in a gray dress that cuts extremely low although it is loose fitting and dare I say it, actually somewhat cute. Conner sits in the corner, looking miserable with no phone in sight. Wow, I wonder who these people are.

We painfully say hello to Robert, Earl and Edna before being introduced to all the guests. I don't bother to pay attention, uncomfortable that the majority stare at us like animals.

"Are these the children?" One woman asks almost scandalized.

Edna only shakes her head. Wonderful.

One man that's years younger than the others watches us, the woman besides him offers a kind smile. "Were you children at the Mackenzie Christmas party?"

Sage and I exchange a nervous glance, usually talking about the Mackenzie's is forbidden around our grandparents.

Slowly, I nod my head, "Yes sir, their daughter, Ella, is my best friend."

"And my girlfriend." Sage adds. Avery's eyes pop out of her head, Sage has never used that word before. It's always just good friend. I know he's only saying to perhaps prevent the man from saying anything bad about them. Not that it's a guarantee here.

"Very good. I'm Joe Godwin, and this is my wife, Kate. I've worked with him in the past. Good man."

I smile politely but the frown on Earls face quickly erases it.

We sit quietly while the adults talk, answering questions when they are directed our way. It's the usual: grades, sports, activities. We answer honestly, ignoring their mocking undertone.

When collected for dinner, I sigh in relief, only to fall into a state of shock. The dining room has been completely transformed for tonight. Ribbons and flowers and tinsel clinging to every surface. Fake snow on the table even though I think it's poisonous. It's like Santa's elf threw up.