Chapter 6 - A New Comrade

What do you think of Emma and Grey's relationship? 

~D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked over to my second period class, English, fuming. My lip stung like crazy from where bad boy of the year had bit down on it and a bit of blood was dripping from the cut. I raised my hand to my mouth and touched the cut, wincing immediately due to its soreness.

"Crap..." I cursed under my breath as I walked into the classroom.

I looked around at the sea of faces that filled the room. No Grey was in sight, thank the gods above. In fact, I knew nobody here. Not even Creepy Chris was around to wrap an arm around my shoulder.

I sighed in disappointment and took a seat next to the window at the very back of the classroom. Hopefully no one would join me.

I had had enough of human interaction for a day.

I began to close my eyes to take a short nap. Hopefully, when the teacher came, I would snap out of it.

"Excuse me?" a shy voice piped up from next to me, just as I was drifting off into sweet slumber. 

I pried an eye open and turned to face the voice.

Standing near the desk was a petite girl whose light brown hair was tied in a long plait which hung behind her, falling from her shoulders to her waist. Within it, little flowers were intertwined. I observed her yet again, marvelling at the length of her hair. Her dedication in growing it was admirable.

"Hi..." I replied, not fully conscious and partially groggy.

The girl pointed to the seat, with a look of urgency.

"Can I sit here? There are no seats left in the classroom..." she mumbled, putting her weight on her left foot and then lifting it slightly, so that she looked like she was bouncing up and down.

I nodded, not really caring. This girl seemed nice enough. Perhaps she could be the first human today with which I could have a positive encounter.

"Thank you!" she cried out gratefully. She was much too enthusiastic. I had let her sit next to me, not given her a million pounds.

"I'm Lottie Pink!" she introduced herself, sticking out a hand. I gazed at it for a second, unsure of why she was being so formal.

"Emma Redbourne."

I shook her hand before turning back to the front of the classroom. Where was the teacher?

"I'm new around here, what's this school like?" Lottie interrupted my train of thought, her head tilting to the side as she examined my face.

She was new? Well that explains her timid nature. But boy was she oblivious to the true reality of this school.

"Well Lottie," I began as her green eyes gleamed in anticipation, "this school sucks."

Her bright face dulled, a frown carved into it. It seemed as if I had crushed her to pieces to seconds, that she, a previously flourishing flower had wilted to nothingness on the ground, dead in a handful of seconds.

"Why?" she asked me, sticking out her bottom lip like a child.

"The teachers are scary as hell, the lessons are half hearted and the students, well, let's just say there is something of a hierarchy here." I explained as Lottie nodded, her mouth in a firm line as she concentrated on what I was saying.

"When you say "hierarchy," do you mean the segregation between popular kids and nerds?" Lottie queried whilst fiddling with her braid, now slung over her chest.

"Yep. This school has it all, the cool kids, usually a mix of rebellious youths and sport enthusiasts, as well as the nerds that basically pick up the pieces. Then there are people like me who are neither, I just float around unnoticed." I told her as she gave me a sad smile.

"You're not unnoticed, Emma!" Lottie reassured me, placing her small hand on my own. I jump back in surprise, unaccustomed to physical contact.

"Thank you?" I say uncertainly, unsure of whether that it is a compliment or not. Lottie just laughs before asking me to continue.

"I am not unnoticed in that sense. It's just that I receive little harassment from anyone and I like it like that. I can have a normal school life without much hassle."

Lottie understands what I am telling her and shoots me a grin.

"Let me be unnoticed with you, Emma Redbourne!" She exclaims, her eyes wide and filled with determination.

I can't help but let out a chuckle. She seemed rather amusing and much too excited for a Monday morning, but I was grateful. I was grateful that she could distract me from the mess that had been this morning. Hopefully the two of us could be good friends.

"Very well then, Lottie. Your wish is my command," I jest, bowing as Lottie cheers in delight.

The two of us stop laughing and Lottie seems to have one more question for me.

"Hey Emma, what happened to your lip?" Her finger touches her own lip, in an area where I assume my wound was.

I grow pale at the thought. Grey Black. No matter where I was and who I was with, he would lurk back into my life and hover over me like the dark grey cloud he was.

Before I can answer Lottie's question, a teacher strides in, and the entire class goes silent.