Chapter 32 - Target Practice

Victor and Emma are officially over. Thoughts? 

Let a new chapter of Emma's life begin!

~D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the weekend, almost two weeks after the breakup, my friends had decided to take me out to clear my mind. The thing is, I really didn't feel up to it. 

"Hey, how are you holding up?"

We were strolling around in the mall when Jeremy addressed me.

I shrugged. How was I supposed to feel? Currently, I felt like I'd had the wind knocked out of me. I didn't think I could feel any worse.

"Peachy." I commented with a look of distaste on my face as Jeremy chuckled.

"Emma, I want you to know that you can vent if you want to." He spoke softly, his tone serious. I nodded in understanding. There wasn't really anything else to say. I had cried most of it out to Dee. Now I just needed the time to accept that Victor would no longer be in my life.

"Thanks Jeremy."

He gave me a warm smile, walking beside me silently as we approached a bookstore.

"Hey, wait here. I'll be right back." Jeremy ordered, out of the blue, as he ran into the shop to get something. I just stood there, intrigued to find out what he was doing.

"Did you kill Jeremy?"

I looked up from my phone to see Dee standing there with Steve by her side. I couldn't suppress the small giggle, triggered by her question, which left my mouth.

"He's gone to get something. Told me to wait out here." I summarised, as Dee and Steve processed this.

"So, what have you two lovebirds been up to then?" I tease them as their faces go red. They clearly had things to hide.

"Nothing." Dee stated defensively.

"Making out." Steve admitted.

They had spoken at the same time and Dee was mad, not foreseeing Steve's response.

"Why'd you say that!?" She yelled, her fists coming down on his shoulders. Steve said nothing, but I could sense the pain in his eyes.

The two of them had been making out? I felt a squeal leave my mouth. Jeremy owed me money.

"Are you guys a thing now?" I couldn't suppress my excitement and I began to jump up and down on the spot. Dee and Steve were silent, trying their hardest not to look at each other. 

Dee glared at Steve before looking back at me.

"Look Emma, I'm going to be honest with you. It was a single kiss and nothing has happened since." 

It didn't matter, my favourite couple was finally getting together. I was ecstatic at the very least. 

I scooped Dee and Steve into a group hug, feeling the two of them stiffen immediately. 

"Aw you guys!" 

I released the two of them and beamed like a proud mother.

"Dee," I felt my voice grow low as I addressed her, "I'm going to let you off just this once for not telling me about this, but only because I kept my worries about Victor from you." 

My chest stung at the use of Victor's name, but I maintained my intimidating stance and Dee gulped, regretting her actions. 

"Sorry Emma, it won't happen again." She apologised sincerely, as Steve stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. 

"Good!" I accepted her apology, smiling.

"Emma!" A voice called out from behind me, and I turned in its direction. Jeremy was running towards me with a plastic bag in his hand. 

"The wanderer returns." Dee commented under her breath, as Steve chuckled quietly. 

Jeremy stood before me and gave me the bag, beckoning me to look inside. What had he got for me and why?

My hand dived into the bag, rustling around until I found a small object. I took it out curiously, my eyes focusing in on it. 

"What do you think?" 

It was a dartboard fridge magnet, that came with a handful of darts. I looked up at Jeremy, confused.

"Why did you get me this?" 

Jeremy raised his eyebrows, probably wondering why I needed to ask. 

"You probably have a lot of pent-up anger towards Victor, so I thought you might like to pin his face to the board and throw some darts at it." He explained and Dee and Steve laughed from behind me.

 I looked at the board uncertainly. He wasn't wrong, I was still angry at Victor. It didn't matter how selfless I tried to be, as a human being, it was in my nature to be selfish. And I was furious that he couldn't give up even one of his commitments for me, even though I'd tried to accept it. 

I glanced back at Jeremy who seemed worried that I hadn't said anything. I threw my arms around him quickly, genuinely grateful for his efforts. 

"Thanks Jeremy, I'll be sure to use it." 

Plus, if I wasn't angry at Victor, I sure as hell would be at Grey Black, so the board would never become useless. 

"By the way Jeremy, you owe me money." I stated, holding my palm out.

"No way! Are Steve and Dee already dating?" He looked at me with wide eyes, shocked. 

"Ehhh... they made out, I think that's close enough." 

Jeremy huffed before shoving ten pounds into my palm.

***

Later that night, I had printed out pictures of different sports' equipment and stuck it on the board, ready to release my anger. I guess my anger wasn't at Victor, but at the reason our relationship ended.

I focused in on the different images: the hockey sticks, baseball bats and footballs. It was time to take my revenge. 

I held a dart between my fingers before stretching my arm back, aiming for a specific image. The hockey stick came to mind first, as it was the reason he had cancelled our proper first date.

I thrusted my arm forward, releasing the dart from my grip. I let out a small shout, relieving my frustration. The dart whizzed through the air before it buried itself square in the centre of the image of the hockey stick, creating a hole in the paper. 

Satisfied with my attack, I picked up another one. The football was next. 

Little by little, I felt my anger being channeled out of my body and onto the dartboard. I was beginning to move on.