Six

After the losers departed from one another (Tiny kindly declining Stan's offer to take her home

After the losers departed from one another (Tiny kindly declining Stan's offer to take her home.) the Thompson girl decided it would be best to take the longer way back home, more time to stay away from her mother.

She walked along the sidewalk, staring at the cracks within the pavement. Don't step on the cracks or you'll break your mother's back. Her hands were dug into her jacket pockets, gripping the inside of the fabric.

Crack!

She whipped her head around at the noise, startled. Tiny looked around behind her, her eyes darting around. It's probably nothing...

She began to walk again, quicker this time. She remained cool, not wanting to look scared if something had really been there.

Snap!

She stopped in her tracks, eyes widening. Slowly, she turned around and came face to face with a single red balloon. Her breath hitched as it neared her, she couldn't move. It was like she was stuck in place.

The balloon floated toward her till it was almost against her face. It remained there, just hovering in front of her, the words ' I love Derry!' Spread across the red latex.

Pop!

She jumped in her spot, a squeal working its way up her throat. She felt a rumble beneath her feet. Tiny looked down, noticing the cracks in the sidewalk starting to get bigger, and bigger, and bigg-

"Don't step on the cracks on you'll break you're mothers back!"

She switched her gaze to in front of her, where it stood.

The Clown.

It was only a few feet, and the devilish smile upon his face was making her uneasy. She couldn't go through it again.

"What's wrong, Tiny?" It spoke, almost mockingly. "Scared you'll fall?"

The cracks began breaking apart quicker, and she began to run. The erosion following close behind her, as well as the clowns manically laughter.

Tiny looked behind her, seeing the clown in tow, and tripped. She screamed. Struggling to get up, she gasped as it drew closer.

"Stay away from me!" She exclaimed, facing the clown.

"But, Pipsqueak, don't you wanna float?"

The cracks started up again, and so did she. Not long now...

After what seemed like forever, she finally reached her house. She flung open the door and ran in, slamming it shut. The noises stopped, it's laughter stopped, everything stopped.

The leaned against the door, catching her breath, hand on heart. She sobbed. Crying hysterically, she fell to the floor and brought her knees up to her chest. She rocked back and forth as the tears escaped. Only letting out five words, the most she could muster in her state.

"What the fuck was that?"