Twelve

Tiny Thompson walked the streets of Derry

Tiny Thompson walked the streets of Derry. After her last encounter with the fucking clown, she was wary to go out alone. She couldn't help herself though, she needed to get away, from her mother.

"For fucking once, shut up!"

Her mother had been on another one of her drunken rampages, throwing anything she could find at the poor girl. She wasn't always like this, though Tiny can't really remember when she wasn't.

Marie Thompson grabbed her daughter by her wrist tightly, most likely leaving a bruise. Her eyes filled with hatred and her breath reeking of alcohol.

"Don't you ever-" She pushed the young girl against the light pink wall. "Fucking talk back to me, young lady!"

She didn't. She didn't even say anything. She just asked her if she wanted her to put a glass back in the cupboard.

Smack!

She winced in pain as she felt the heat rushing to her cheek.

"Do you understand me?"

No answer.

Smack!

"I asked you a fucking question!"

A beat.

"Yes, mama."

And now she was here. In the cold, dark streets of Derry, Maine. It probably wasn't best for her to out alone, especially at a time like this. She knew Stan had been practicing for his Bar Mitzvah most of the day, and she couldn't go there, not with how strict his dad was. Eddies mom would have his ass if she found out he let her stay. And she certainly couldn't go to Richies house, due to...home reasons.

So it wasn't much of surprise when she climbed the side of the two-story house of Bill Denbrough and knocked lightly on the window. She sucked in a breath as she waited for him to open the window. If he would even open it.

As luck would have it, the stuttering boy did open the glass pane. With a shocked look, he quickly ushered the Thompson girl into his bedroom.

"I-I know it's l-late and all, and I'm s-sorry but my mom and I didn't have anywhere else to go and Stan is-"

"It's f-f-fine, Tiny."

He led her to his bed, where they both sat down and leaned against the headboard. She rested her head against his shoulder and sighed.

"Why does she hate me, Billy?"

Bill didn't answer for a few seconds, he didn't really know. "Sh-she doesn't h-hate you, Tiny..."

She snorted.

"N-no, really...it's just..." he trailed off, he didn't know.

"Ever since Dad," The blue-eyed girl gulped. "It hasn't been the same, she treats me as if I'm not even her daughter anymore."

Bill stayed silent, a silent green light to continue.

"I-I remember," she started. "When I first met you all and she was so happy that I made friends. She would always wanna help make play-dates or something so she could talk with your mom."

"T-tiny.."

"I think she knew, that you guys would become my family. My real family. And then dad passed and it all came to a halt. Like she hadn't even meant anything she ever said, she started drinking...and the rest is history."

The tears had finally escaped from their hold at her waterline. She shook her head, wiping the salty drops from her face.

"A-and now, with G-Georgie..." she turned to look at him. "Fuck Bill, I'm so sorry, I'm here spilling my problems out to you when your brothers missing and you're worried sick!"

"H-hey, you d-don't have to ap-apologize, it isn't your fault, Tiny." He wrapped his arm around the smaller girls shoulders, pulling her closer. If only he could tell himself those same words...

"Hey Bill?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Is this what having a brother is like?"

A few beats went by.

"Yeah, that's exactly what it is."

She smiled, letting her eyes close and sleep consume her. Before fully drifting off, three small words were mumbled.

"Thank you, Billy."

Bill stared down at the girl on his shoulder. His best friend. His sister. He already lost Georgie, though it's hard for him to admit.

And there is no way in hell he's losing her too.