Chapter 19

Amelia ducked into the coffee shop, getting in at the end of the line. She was all too happy for a moment out of the precinct, and away from that cop. As the line shuffled forward, she felt the person in line behind her standing a little too close for comfort so she scooched forward.

She made it to the counter and placed her order, then went to stand in the hallway near the end of the bar to wait for her drinks. She pulled out her phone and scrolled through messages from friends she hadn't answered in a few days, not since she told them what was initially going on. She started to respond to a group chat when someone knocked into her and her phone fell from her hands. Annoyed, she whipped to look at the person who wasn't watching where they were going.

"Excuse you" she said, glancing at the man next to her. She bent down to pick up her phone but he beat her to it. She looked to him expectantly. He stared at her, and she felt her bones chill. It took a moment to dawn on her who was in front of her. Three years have caused him to slim down quite a bit, and he had full facial hair now, but Christopher Regino still resembled the picture Garcia showed herself and the team yesterday.

"Please just.. be quiet, or I'll head down the street and shoot up that precinct before they know what's happening."

She froze, knowing logically he couldn't do that but terrified for the people inside. Spencer, the team.. oh god, how was she going to let them know what's going on. She looked at his face. He didn't look angry, but appeared extremely confident and.. calm.

"You.. you wouldn't make it five feet" she stammered, trying to come across as confident but hearing her own voice shake.

"That may be so, but maybe just a few shots will be all it takes to get that damn team of FBI agents you've been fawning over" Christopher barked, rolling his eyes. Amelia glanced at the couple behind them who turned to look at them when he raised his voice.

Catching her glance, he quickly went up to her with his hand in his pocket. She felt something hard and metal poke her side. She felt nauseous, realizing he held a gun. She had always hated guns, they made her nervous. But never did she think she'd have one pressed into her. This was a newfound fear.

"I don't want to hurt you, Leelee. Just.. head outback with me, okay?"

Her stomach turned at the sound of the nickname. She gave a small nod and shuffled toward the backdoor, moving on autopilot as she thought about how she could get help to the cop who was still waiting for her out front.

As soon as she saw the van in the alleyway, she knew it was too late to alert Officer Karney.

'Okay, Lee, he's going to realize you're taking too long and then once he sees you're gone he's going to get Spencer and..' Shit. Where was he going to take her? How on earth was the BAU team going to find them if they had nothing to go on?

He was emboldened once they were alone in the alleyway, freely holding the gun to the small of her back. She faced the van, rooted to the spot.

"You don't have to do this.. I'm sorry how I handled things but if you let me go we can-"

"Stop. Stop it. I hear the pity in your voice. You don't mean it" he growled. "You know, I thought we could've been great. You would've been perfect for me." His voice started to soften, and Amelia realized she just had to get him to like her again. Her mind whirred as she felt him press the gun harder into her coat. "Open the door."

She closed her eyes and took a breath. When she opened them, she reached out and slid the door open. She looked into the back of the van, and then stumbled in as he used both hands to shove her.