Chapter 50

Miranda leaned back, stretching as she sat outside on a bench awaiting Amelia's arrival. She called her a few times with no answer, but figured she was busy getting on the road.

"Hey, are you Miranda?" She glanced up, seeing a guy not much older than her. He stood in front of a moving truck.

"Maybe, who's askin?"

The guy chuckled, handing her a manila envelope.

"This is from your roommate. I'll get started on this stuff," he gestured behind him, "which apartment?"

Miranda started at the envelope in her hands, confusion written on her face. "Oh, 31A. Third floor. But, sorry, what is this?" She asked, holding it up.

She watched the man shrug. "I dunno, but your friend, she was adamant about making sure I gave it to you. She seemed, not so great." He walked away then, and started unloading the truck.

Miranda sat back on the bench and opened the envelope. She glanced inside and a knot formed in her stomach. She saw two white envelopes, one with her name and one with Spencer's. Next to them was a wad of cash, tied in rubber bands. She quickly ripped open the envelope with her name on it, eyes scanning furiously. She set it down after reading it, mind spinning. She pulled out her phone and went to call Spencer but realized she didn't have his number, so she hesitated before calling Emily Prentiss. It rang a few times, and she almost hung up, but..

"Prentiss." The answer was short, clear.

Miranda cleared her throat, not usually lacking words.

"Hey, Emily? This is Miranda, Amelia's friend from-"

"Of course! Hi! What do I owe the pleasure?"

"Actually, I think somethings wrong. Can I have Spencer's number?"

Spencer sped over to the apartment as soon as he'd gotten Miranda's call, heart feeling like it was stuck in his throat. His ears rang, and he had to keep reminding himself to breath. Emily called him shortly after he had hung up with Miranda, and he asked her to get the team and meet him there. His head was spinning. Amelia was supposed to have been meeting Miranda in Philly before driving down to DC. What the hell was going on? The unease he'd felt after sensing Amelia's disposition the last few weeks quickly settled back into his gut.

He arrived first, finding Miranda on a bench staring off in front of her. She stood when she saw him approaching. The normally exuberant girl was now pale, and could barely speak.

Spencer stopped short in front of her. "What - I thought she was meeting you at your place before she left? What're you doing here already?"

His stomach fell as she shook her head, seeing her eyebrows drawn together. "I left last night. She told me she was driving in with you, following the moving guys. I.. here." She held out the envelope. He glanced inside, seeing the cash and envelope with his name on it. He tore it open, and slowly lowered himself to the bench.

Spence,

I'm so sorry. I didn't know what else to do, and this is the only thing that's going to keep everyone safe. Things are gonna be confusing, and I am so freaking sorry. I don't know what else I can say other than I love you, so so much my sweet boy. Please take care of Swoop. I'm gonna figure things out, I promise. I love you.

Always, Lee

Spencer froze after reading the letter, face paling as his eyes scanned it dozens more times as his team approached. JJ sat next to him and gently took the letter from his hand.