Chapter 26

Bonfire of the Vanity

Anna found out that the painting her mother had been biding on had been one that Diana Hawthorne has painted in her prime of her art career.

She walked down the stairs on her way to Blair's when she spotted two men hanging said painting along the stairway.

"Oh Anna. Look isn't it lovely, darling?" Diana asked as she pushed her glasses further up her nose when she spotted her daughter descending the stairs.

"It's beautiful mother." Anna replied as she grabbed a bowl of grapes from the fridge before returning to her mother's side and watched the men hang the picture. "So where's dad?"

"Business meeting with Bart. They have a potential investor in town and they're in the mood to wow with the 20th anniversary of the company falling on this weekend." Diana explained as she stole a grape from the bowl her daughter was holding.

"Oh yeh. I forgot about that." Anna admitted to her mother. She had completely forgot about her father and Bart's company's anniversary.

——————————

"Chuck? What are you doing here?" Anna asked as she arrived outside of her father and Bart's office to see the Hawthorne man.

Chuck simply nodded his head across the road to the New York Times building across the road.

"New York Times? What you want a job or something? I'm sure if you begged hard enough our fathers would give you something." Anna wondered as she stopped in front of the Bass man.

"No. A certain friend of yours isn't as friendly as he pretends to be. Has your father been meeting with Dan Humphrey lately?" Chuck questioned as he tucked his hands into his pants pocket.

"Why would dad be meeting with Dan? Dan is a writer not a businessman." Anna replied.

"Well looks like Humphrey is changing fields of interest or so he says." Chuck told her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Anna questioned as she readjusted her bag strap over her shoulder.

"I think Humphrey is a lot more devious than he wants anyone to know." Chuck finished before his phone rang. Anna waved goodbye to
Chuck as he took the call and she headed inside.

——————————

"What are you sulking for?" Anna asked as she arrived at Blair's 18th birthday to find Serena and the minions slumped on the couch