Chapter 39 - A New Beginning

Sumedh and Basant reached the hall with their family. Their eyes searching for their respective partners and now to be wives in a matter of minutes.

The girls, Mallika and Kira had already spotted them. A gentle smile adorned their faces quickly turning into a grin as they made eye contact with the brothers.

Kira and Mallika sat quietly, chatting amongst their friends and families. After that eye contact with their other halves, they didn't dare look up at them again. Sumedh and Basant constantly kept glancing at their girls in hopes that they would get some sort of reaction from them. It seemed that the girls hadn't even noticed their outfits. They finally gave up and greeted the rest of the family members.

After what seemed like an eternity, their fathers gathered up on the stage to greet everyone and announce that it was finally time for the vows. The boys were already next to the stage while the girls had been taken to another room for their parents to walk them down the aisle.

Sumedh's POV

It was finally time for her to arrive. I have never been so nervous in my life. What would marriage be like? In what way were we going to change? Was it going to be pure bliss or full of spice, bringing us different flavors?

All my questions were numbed down when I heard the soft notes of piano. It meant that it was time for her arrival. I held my breath and waited for her to walk to me.

The door opened and people around us started aweing and talking about how pretty the brides looked. I saw just one bride. My bride. My Mallika.

I wasn't able to see her outfit when we first entered. Looking at her now, I was awestruck. Her favourite colour, lavender indeed looked the best on her. She was very beautiful.

I was admiring my bride when she lifted her head up and our eyes locked with each other. I remembered every moment we had spent together. She wore the exact same colour the first day we met and her brown eyes looked into mine the exact same way they are looking at me right now.

Who knew from meeting at a wedding, to it being OUR wedding.. It was such a beautiful coincidence. I thank my lucky stars for me ending up at that wedding although I had no intention to be there.

My princess was now standing next to me, her hand handed into mine. I finally released the breath I didn't know I was holding. Her hand in mine, I felt like I had won a prize.

Mallika's POV

Dad walked into the room where Kiran and I were.

"It's time. Both my girls are leaving the nest." He gave us a tight smile.

Kira got emotional at this, as she had no one to call her family apart from us.

Sumedh and I were going to say our vows first as he requested to be the one to walk Kira down the aisle. My dad was going to be the one doing it but since Sumedh considered Kira as a sister already, he wanted to be the one.

All that aside, I linked my arm with dad's arm. We were ready now. I could hear the piano which indicated that I have to walk. Alice was the one playing the piano.

I took a deep breath. My heart hammering in my chest. I clung onto my dad's arm so hard, it was only when he asked me to relax that I loosened my grip.

What was I so nervous about? Wasn't I supposed to be happy?

I am happy. It's just that for a girl this day has the most bittersweet memories. On one hand I'll be leaving the people I've grown up with and on the other hand, I'll be joining Sumedh and we'll be growing together at every step of our journey.