Chapter 26 - Why..

Mallika's POV

I kept walking without looking behind me and finally stopped near the wooden plank where the name of the nature reserve was written. I was finally at the entrance. I prayed Dau and Kira would reach here before Ayan caught up to me.

My wish was granted when I saw both of them running towards me. They looked worried, almost as if they'd known something bad was going to happen. Without wasting much time, I walked towards them as well. Kira threw her arms around me, then put her hands around my face, as if looking for some sort of damage.

Dau also gave me a bear hug and put his hand on my head, relieved. I frowned. Why were they so worried?

"Mallika, thank God you're fine. That Ayan and Elina. I WILL FREAKING END THEM!!" Kira seethed in anger. I looked at Dau, seeking some sort of explanation.

"Ayan and Elina have been planning some shit for the past week. But first, tell me, are you fine? Did Ayan do something?" Dau asked.

I narrated the whole horrible experience I'd just had to both of them. If Kira wasn't angry enough earlier, now she was fuming. Dau had clenched his fists on either side, with a menacing expression on his face. I wasn't wrong for thinking Dau wouldn't leave Ayan for what he had done. And looking at Kira, neither would she.

I managed to talk them down. Surprisingly Ayan was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he saw Dau and Kira and understood that he couldn't risk being anywhere near them.

Dau, Kira and I got into the car and started driving to Kira's apartment. I did not want to face my parents just yet and I also had to think hard about what my next actions would be. I would definitely not tell them that I will be quitting my job on the next day. 

Sumedh. What would I do? Should I tell him the truth? Well, if I don't tell him, then Dau definitely will. How would he react to all of this? Will he say something to Elina? Ayan?

All these thoughts kept bothering me, as I looked out through the window, the wind blowing through my hair. Suddenly something caught my eye. I'm not so blessed with great eyesight, but I definitely saw two figures I recognised. Sumedh..and...Elina. I squinted my eyes trying to get a better view of what they were doing. They were standing in the middle of a forest near the nature reserve we had just exited. Why not meet at the Nature Reserve itself? Why such a secluded place? Did Elina leave us so she could meet Sumedh? Why was Sumedh here?

"Dau! Stop the car, please!" I exclaimed. He immediately pulled to the left and stopped the car.

"What happened, Mallika?" Dau and Kira asked in unison and looked at each other.

"I need to call Sumedh. He must be worried right? And actually, there's too much noise while driving, so he won't hear me. I just want to make sure he knows I'm okay." I lied. I couldn't tell them what I'd seen. They might understand but they might misunderstand as well, and I didn't have that much strength for a whole conversation on theories as to why Sumedh and Elina were meeting each other.

I took my phone out and dialled Sumedh's number. It rang for about five seconds before he picked up. From the car, I could see his every move..the way he hesitated to pick up the phone. 

"Hello Mallika, are you okay?" He asked and I saw him moving further from Elina. As if he didn't want her knowing who was he on the phone with. I gulped. Is he ashamed of me?

"I'm okay, err..I saw your missed calls..why were you calling?" I asked.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay..actually Dau and Kira were asking for you as well..they seemed pretty tense, so I was worried too." He answered.

"Ohh okay, well we're going to Kira's place, where are you right now? You can join us." I added, waiting for his response.

"Um..I-I'm home, Mallika..where else would I be? I'll be at Kira's soon, okay? Bye, take care." He said. I took a deep breath in, looking at the scene in front of me, he was walking towards Elina. He lied. I trusted him. How could he lie? Does he think I'll be mad because he's with Elina?

I blinked a few times and then told Dau to continue driving. I did not tell Kira and Dau anything. It's high time I handle my issues like an adult, without needing them. I know they'd always be here no matter what, but this was just about me and Sumedh now.

I trusted Sumedh and I had a belief that he would trust me as well. Especially knowing that he loves me. He should have told me he was with Elina. Why didn't he tell me? 

I was hurt, but I also knew that Sumedh and I had to sort things out. He loves me and I love him. And I won't give up on our relationship that hasn't even started based on a harmless lie.

Did Sumedh think I was weak? That I wouldn't be able to handle it if he told me he was with Elina?

My heart was constantly telling me that he loves me and would not do anything to hurt me. But my mind kept reminding me about how replaceable I was. My heart knew that Sumedh would never go for a girl like Elina, but my mind kept debating that he could fall for anyone.

Although there was something both my heart and brain needed to know.. Why did he lie?

I sighed a bit too loudly in frustration as Dau pulled over in the parking near Kira's apartment. Thankfully, it went unnoticed by them. I got out of the car and followed them to Kira's apartment.

They didn't utter a word in front of me. Once inside, Kira just went to her kitchen, came out with a bowl of ice cream and set it right in front of me. I gave her a tight smile. She blinked apologetically and then spoke.

"This is all my fault." She began and I nodded 'no' frantically. It was not her fault. She continued anyway.

"It is, Miku..I'd heard Elina telling Ayan that you like him! I was trying to tell Ayan the truth, but I couldn't. And the whole week you were with Sumedh at lunch time, I couldn't inform you as well. I thought of texting you, but you don't tell someone that kind of thing on text. I'm sorry.. I should have texted. How stupid of me?!" She smacked her forehead. I felt really bad.

"Kira, firstly none of this is your fault. I should have been more careful. No one plans an outing so last minute." I said, holding Kira's hands.

"Listen both of you, this is not your fault. It's Ayan who should have confirmed. And Elina is the cheap one here. Stop blaming yourselves. Chill! Everything is fine now.." Dau comforted both of us.

We heard a knock and our heads moved immediately to the door. It was Sumedh. 

"Mallika, we need to talk!" He announced.

Yes, we so do..

______________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Hope you're having a great weekend! ✨

So now Mallika and Sumedh need to talk! What do you think will happen in the next chapter?! Why did Sumedh meet Elina? 👀

Please vote, comment and share if you liked it!

Lots of love ✨❤️

-A_girl_imagines