Chapter 27 - Answers

Sumedh's POV

I opened the door to Kira's apartment and came face to face with the person I was longing to see. Mallika.

Her eyes were filled with questions. And why shouldn't they be? She had every right to know where I was. Who I was with and what I'd been doing. Hell, I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd asked me right there on that call. But she didn't do it. Because she's Mallika. And I'm glad she was willing to talk it out instead of just assuming things.

Dau and Kira knew all about my meeting with Elina. I had specifically asked them to not talk about this topic with Mallika as I wanted to be the one who would tell her everything.

What I didn't want to happen was unfortunately exactly what happened. She had to witness that unfortunate scene. What makes me feel worse is that she didn't even share it with Dau and Kira. I was very surprised about that. Kira had obviously noticed the whole thing and already texted me as soon as Mallika made Dau pull over.

I looked at the girl in front of me. Her eyes made me feel vulnerable. I had to know what she was thinking and without wasting much time I spoke.

"We need to talk, Mallika!" I exclaimed. She nodded and stood quietly to come and join me.

"Where are we going?" she asked in a soft tone.

I grabbed her hand and led her to my car.

"You'll know, Mallika.." I said, looking in her eyes.

Mallika's POV

I was following Sumedh to wherever he was taking me. The way he said my name felt so pure.

I looked at the boy next to me. Why would he have to lie?

I took in a deep breath. I'll know soon enough.

Sumedh brought me to the exact same place I had seen him and Elina. He knew I'd seen him.

I got out of the car without uttering a word. Sumedh and I walked side by side in the middle of nowhere, each of us waiting for the other to start talking.

"Um.. "

"Um.."

I chuckled softly. This had become our thing. But could I call it 'our thing' just yet?

"You start." I said.

"Yeah I guess I'll have to." He looked like me with an intense look. I smiled tightly.

"You saw me, huh?!" He asked. I feigned ignorance.

He suddenly stopped and came in front of me, putting his hands on my shoulders and looking deeply into my eyes.

"You trust me, right?" He asked and I nodded.

"And you know about Elina, I'm guessing?" He asked.

"I know what Dau and Kira have told me. And what I've experienced.." I mumbled the last part so he wouldn't hear it. The last thing I needed right now is him flipping over Ayan trying to kiss me.

"I know you saw me and Elina."

"Yeah that's.. That's fine! She's your f-friend.."

"NO, SHE'S NOT! SHE'S NOTHING TO ME!" Sumedh gritted his teeth. I gulped. If he hated her, why did he bother to meet her?

"Listen Mallika, I met her to settle something. And now that everything's settled. I want to let you in on the truth. I'm a very private person and I can't stand people interfering in my life. Especially those who don't mean anything to me. And you mean a lot to me!" He said, looking into my eyes. I gasped.