Chapter 4 - The Party

Mallika's POV

The next morning, I woke up feeling refreshed after a long time. I smiled and got out of bed to start the day. I took my phone and texted Kira about the party to which she replied 'Okay, we'll definitely go'.

As I brushed my teeth, I looked in the mirror and got lost in my thoughts. I had a party to go to, tonight. The name 'Sumedh' kept echoing in my mind. Just then, I glanced at the clock and saw that it was nearly 8 a.m.

"Shit shit shit shit!!" I muttered while hurrying upstairs to go get ready. I was about to be late for yoga classes. It usually starts at 9 a.m, but with traffic, we could not really be sure. Kira would be here to pick me up, any minute now. I had been so engrossed in that Sumedh's thoughts.

"Baba, you're still not ready. You'll go for your yoga classes, right? Are you fine? Do you want to stay at home or something?" my Mum asked, standing outside my room. I smiled. So many questions.

"Yes Maa, I'm going, I just got late. Aanndd yesss I'm fine, don't you worry." I said, rushing to give her a hug.

"Okay, I'll pack your things, go change!" she said, picking up my yoga mat. I changed quickly and applied my moisturiser. As I was putting my shoes on, the doorbell rang and Mum went to see who it was. I already knew it would be Kira. As I walked down the stairs, I smiled when I saw Kira. The moment we saw each other, we laughed as we took in each other's outfits. We were wearing the same pink top with black pants.

"Come Kira, please have some juice, Mallika got late today, so she could not have breakfast, atleast drink some juice and then leave." Mum ordered.

I took the glass of orange juice and gulped it. Then I remembered that I had yet to inform my mum about our shopping plans and the party.

"Maa, I forgot to tell you, Kira and I are going shopping after our yoga classes, and then Jay and Jennifer have invited us to their party. We'll come home to get ready for the party" I told her.

"Yeah, it's okay. But your dad.." Mum said and her expression changed. I understood what she was hinting at. My dad did not like me going out this much. I gave her a small smile and told her that it will be fine. She nodded and waved as we got into Kira's car.

"How are you, Miku?" Kira asked. I looked at her, confused.

"I'm fine, Kira. Why do you ask?" I replied.

"It's just that since the wedding, you've been acting a bit strange and you are never late. I thought maybe you're sad or something. If you need to talk about something, you know I'm here, hmm." she said with a smile.

"No baba, I'm fine. Maybe I overslept because I was tired last night." I told her, hoping she'd just drop this topic, because I did not want to start thinking about Sumedh again.

Soon enough, we reached to the yoga centre. Thankfully, we were not late, we got there just on time. We got our yoga mats out and started following the teacher's instructions. Classes were over after about an hour.

After that, Kira and I got ready to go to the shopping mall. We purchased several formal clothes for the office and then it was around noon, and we started getting hungry and decided to go to a restaurant and eat. Just as we turned to go to the restaurant, both Kira and I gasped.

"Wow!" we both said at the same time. We saw a beautiful blue dress on a mannequin in a boutique.

"OMG, this will look great on you. You should get this for the party tonight. I'll get the one next to it for myself" Kira said excitedly. The dress was really gorgeous. It was a baby blue colour, knee length with long sleeves. Simple and elegant. The one Kira wanted was nearly the same style, but it was dark green in colour. We immediately went in the boutique and bought the dresses. Then, we went to have a veg sandwich in a restaurant nearby, we could not eat too much or else we would not be able to enjoy the food in the party.