Chapter 36 - What?!

Mallika's POV

I ran to my room, sat at my desk and held my head in my hands. I couldn't believe it was actually happening. Phew! This is surreal.

About an hour earlier..

Sumedh and Dau's family, along with my parents, Kira and I were gathered around the living room. Apparently, our parents had already chosen our wedding dates and so they had held this small gathering to inform us about it.

"Kids! We have something important to discuss, so please put away the phones!" My mum said. I looked at her sheepishly and kept my phone aside.

"What is it, aunty? Did something happen? You look very serious..all of you do!" Kira spoke my mind.

"Nothing happened yet, but it's about to happen." Dau's mum snickered.

The four of us looked at each other suspiciously.

"Okay okay, judging from the look on your faces, we can tell you're not quite impressed so we'll just drop the bomb. You guys are getting married in two months. So what you'll have to do is go sh........" Mum trailed and my mind wandered elsewhere.

Wedding..seriously! Wow..... WEDDING, MALLIKA!! You're going to get married.

"WHAT?!" Someone screamed next to me and I jumped. It was Kira. Sumedh and Dau were on their phones and they dropped those as well.

"Why are you all surprised? The engagement is done, the wedding was bound to happen at some point." Dad spoke.

He had a point, but we were all so nervous. We had not expected it to be this soon. Two months is a short while. Especially for us girls, we have to shop for clothes, look at card designs..oh my god. It's too much.

"I need some time to process all of this, then we can come to a conclusion." Kira said what we were dying to tell them and as soon as she did, Sumedh, Dau and I agreed in unison. 

"But we need an answer by latest tomorrow, okay?!" the parents said and we nodded.

I ran to my room, Kira following me.

Dau and Sumedh headed home along with their parents.

Present..

Kira was sat on my bed and hadn't spoken a word since we came into the room. I was starting to think that we'd never find an answer.

The silence was now unbearable so I decided to do something about it.

"Kira.. What are you thinking?" I asked.

"Miku.. I'm confused.. I mean I'm happy that we're both going to get married. But it's just that, I'd planned up till the engagement. I didn't think about the wedding yet. And now, the parents have already done it." Kira spoke, holding a pillow in her lap and swaying back and forth.

"But what is your final answer? Are you ready for a wedding or do you need time?" I asked calmly although absolutely terrified deep inside.

"Look, we're girls.. And if you ask me, we were never going to be ready. I mean sure we'd daydream about our wedding, but no one is ever ready ready for the wedding, you get me? So we might as well go for it. It was going to happen either way and it's not like Basant and Sumedh are weird guys. They have a nice family too, right.. " Kira said.

I agreed with what she said.

"Soooo.. We're agreeing then.." We both said simultaneously, then nodded.

We threw ourselves on the bed with a relieved sigh.

Our phones vibrated, we looked at each other and knew exactly who they were.