Chapter 12 - Conversations Part 2

Mallika's POV

I went back to the office to find Ayan moaning about why I wasn't here yet with Kira.

"I'm here, Ayan. And it's not even 8.30. Work starts at 8.30. Surely, you'd know that?" I spoke as I set my bag on my desk.

"I'd like it very much if you kept everything professional instead of meeting up with your boyfriend." He said and I felt a wave of anger.

"Ayan, firstly he's not my boyfriend and even if he was, it's personal and outside office hours. Secondly, I'm very professional which is why I don't want any relationship with someone from the office. " I replied. He didn't say anything because he knew I would end up saying things I shouldn't, in front of everyone.

Kira, of course knew of Ayan's advances. I understand that he liked me at first, but when I broke up with Jay, it was like he expected me to start dating as soon as possible. I couldn't do that. I was heartbroken at that time. I couldn't possibly think of being with someone else.

After the encounter with Ayan, I started working, trying to finish everything sooner. I had asked Sumedh if it would be okay for Kira to join us for lunch and he said he didn't mind as Dau would also be there. I could almost imagine Kira swooning over Dau. He was totally her type.

Soon, it was time for lunch. Kira and I made our way to the fifth floor. Sumedh and Dau would be meeting us there with the food. Kira and I got there to find that the place was empty. I made it a point to not go to that painting room without Sumedh here.

Kira and I spent some time catching up on what was going on in our lives before the duo announced their presence.

"LUNCH!!" Dau shouted just as excited as in the morning and I giggled. He looked at Kira and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh right, Dau this is Kira, Kira this is D.. uh Basant" I introduced the two and they smiled at each other.

"Hungry?" Sumedh came up to me and asked.

"Starving actually!" I laughed and we shared a look.

"Dau, Kira you guys eat here.. I have to show Mallika something. We'll eat inside." Sumedh said. I didn't miss the wink the brothers shared. I looked at Kira and she was so engrossed in looking at Dau that she didn't seem to care that Sumedh and I weren't going to be there. I shook my head and followed Sumedh to the painting room.

I looked at him carefully, trying to read his expressions. Suddenly he turned towards me and my eyes widened.

"Listen you brought me here this time, don't you dare shout at me!" I exclaimed, holding my index finger up.

He laughed, throwing his head back. It was the first time he had laughed so wholeheartedly. He then came closer and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Mallikaa.. I'm not going to shout at you. And I'm sorry for what did. Now come!" He held my hand to pull me towards a painting. My eyes went to our hands and I wondered if he knew what he was doing. He pulled me towards a painting of a girl. A girl on a swing. I squinted my eyes. It looked oddly familiar.

The more I looked the more resemblances I found between the girl and me. It was me! But that was a long time ago. I haven't been to the children's playground for a while now.

"Is that me?" I asked.

"Mm-hmm." He nodded.

"That was-"

"A while back, I know." He finished my sentence.

"I was just passing by with my mom and I saw this scene in front of me. It was somewhat very freeing. A girl enjoying her time in the best way she could. It drew me in and I took a mental picture in my mind. Then I made this painting." He explained.