Chapter 32 - Engagement

Mallika's POV

Today was the day! Dau and Kira's engagement. Finally.

I clapped my hands together as I looked around at the masterpiece I had created. I had literally been the wedding...no engagement planner.

Everything was going well so far. Sumedh's and Dau's parents had accepted Dau and Kira's relationship wholeheartedly. I checked the time.

13.30. Dau's and Sumedh's family would be arriving at the hall around 2p.m.

I hurried towards the room where Kira was getting ready. She was already dolled up. She looked so pretty. In a light baby pink gown we would always be dreaming of, when we would spend late nights fantasizing about our wedding together.

It's surprising how quickly time passes by. I looked at her in the mirror and smiled. She was blushing. This was new.

"Are you nervous, shy or happy? Or everything?" I asked, making myself comfortable on the bed while looking at her in the mirror.

She turned to face me and turned her back to the mirror.

"I don't know, Miku. I'm nervous. Will his family like me? I have not really interacted with them. I don't know how to behave..you know, since I've never had a family.." Her face fell.

"That's it, say that one more time and I'll never speak to you again." I pouted.

This has got to be the limit. I'm her family. When will she understand that?! Idiot.

"Okay, okay sorry! You're my best sister!" She said and my face lit up with a smile.

"Speaking of which, why the hell are you not ready yet?! Look at this, your hair is not done. Makeup is almost inexistent. Come on! You have 30 minutes. You need to hand me the ring and just look at you!" She started shouting, moving towards me, making an attempt to fix my hair.

"Okay okay, I just came to check up on you. I'm leaving to get ready now." I ran out of her room and entered mine.

My blue dress was laid on the bed. I smiled as I remembered the day I purchased it. Sumedh and his family were shopping for gifts for Kira while I was with my parents, shopping for me and my family. The blue dress was mine and Sumedh's favourite so I decided to buy that for the engagement. I had no idea what he was going to wear. I hope we're somewhat matching.

I had less than thirty minutes ahead of me to get ready. I quickly put on my dress and makeup. I loved my look. I had done a bit more effort this time, considering it was my best friend's/sister's engagement. I made a small waterfall braid with my hair and let it down. I now had about five minutes left.

I locked the room behind me and went for a quick check on the decorations and lighting. I was satisfied and Sumedh and Dau's family were yet to come. I made my way to Kira's room.

"Come on, let's get you downstairs. They should be here any minute now." I spoke, taking a small brush and applying a bit of highlighter on her cheekbones for a touch up.

Kira hadn't seen the decorations yet and can I just say, the look on her face as she gazed upon the set up was enough. She didn't have to say anything. I released the deep breath I did not know I was holding.

Once we got down from the stairs, I was proud of the job done by me and all the helpers. I made a mental note to thank them once the engagement was over. I turned to look at Kira. She had tears in her eyes. OMG, now what? Did I do something wrong?

Kira must have seen the anxiousness in my eyes because she held up her hand and spoke.

"I love everything! Everyone could only dream of having a best friend like you. But I've got one. I just hope you and Sumedh get married soon too! Then, we can stay together forever."