Chapter 11 - Conversations Part 1

Mallika's POV

The next day, I woke up at 6 a.m. It was surprising, even for me, given the fact that I had slept late last night. Perhaps it was the excitement of going to work with Sumedh.

My parents were still asleep, somehow I was proud of myself for waking up early. That meant my Mum wouldn't have to worry about making me food or wake me up. I checked my phone for messages.

There was a text from Kira, asking if she would need to come pick me up or if I was getting a ride from, according to her, 'my prince charming'. I told her I'll be coming with Sumedh. There was also a text from Sumedh.

'Good morning Mallikaaa.. If you managed to wake up early, let me know. I'll be coming to pick you up a bit earlier than 8.' it read.

'Good morning, Sumedh.. Just woke up.. Why early?' I sent back.

'I have to show you something, and that breakfast is still pending.' he replied instantly.

'Okay then, let me know when you'll be coming so I can be ready by the time you're here. And breakfast is on me today, I'll be preparing something.' I replied and set my phone on the bedside table.

I didn't wait to see his replies, instead I went to pick my outfit for the day. I stood in front of my wardrobe contemplating whether I should wear a dress or my usual work pants. I opted for a dress as it had been a while since I had worn one to work. I picked something very simple yet sophisticated. It was a grey dress with a white peter pan collar.

After choosing my outfit, I neatly set it on bed and went to freshen up. After getting dressed, I went to the kitchen to get things I would need for breakfast. I proceeded to make pancakes. I found a small container which would help keep the pancakes warm. Then I got a jar of Nutella, some strawberries and put them in my bag along with the pancakes.

I made my way back to my room and checked my phone to see Sumedh's text.

'Coming to pick you up at 7.30' it read. I glanced at the clock to see I still had fifteen minutes left. I decided to do my makeup and hair in the meantime.

I had long hair, so I made a fishtail braid. As for the makeup, I did my usual mascara and lip balm thing. I was boring when it came to makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror to assess how I looked.

Once I was satisfied, I took my bags and kept them on the couch, then went back up to see my parents.

"Mumma, Papa I'm leaving in a bit okay, take care, love youu" I said.

"Take care." Mum said groggily.

"Love you dear, tell Sumedh to drive safe." Dad said. How did he know? Before I could ask anything I heard a car outside and I made my way out of the house.

"You look pretty awake today" he said as I got in.

"Courtesy of my Friend not keeping secrets from me, hence not keeping me awake at night." I joked and he laughed.

"Speaking of which, I don't know a lot of things about My Friend!" He exclaimed.

"Well, I've thought about it and I decided to let My Friend in on a few things.. We'll discuss it over breakfast" I replied.

"I'm cool with that.. Um you look nice by the way." He said, keeping his eyes fixed on the road.

"Thank you, you don't look too bad yourself. I mean for an artist, you clean up pretty well." I said. He was wearing a white shirt with a dark grey blazer on top and black jeans. You would think he would wear paint stained clothes.