18- sappiamo chi sei, la morte

huffing, i hung up on cioccolata and answered doppios call, hoping i'd remember to ask him to finish whatever he was going to say at a later time. "hello, you've reached morte~! how can i help you on this fine day?"

"morte? where the hell is (y/n)!" a voice, a little deeper than doppios, boomed on the other end.

i seethed, pulling the phone a little bit away from my ear from how loud he had been. "tied up and trembling like a dog in the rain! i mean, i might be able put them on the line if you ask nicely~!"

"get (y/n) on the phone this second or im gonna to sever your head right of its shoulders." doppio growled, my giggles having to be suppressed into the back of my throat. 

"right away, oh, right away! "

clearing my throat and lifting my mask to where you could only see my mouth, i spoke in the same voice that i would out of costume, hoping doppio wouldnt notice the similarity between my voices. "d-doppio? please, it hurts- morte! stop, it hurts!"

i cried and bantered with myself, hearing doppio grow restless over the phone at the sounds of his friend getting 'tortured' "morte, if you lay even a finger on (y/n), i'll snap your spine into two!"

"ah, then i guess its fortunate that i used a gun, then, yes? they were so noisy, i thought that i ought to give them something to really scream about!"

it was clear that i had struck a nerve, doppio screaming in panic, asking where i was and such and how he's gonna kill me and blah blah blah.... honestly, he just kept going on and on. how does he expect me to answer him if he doesnt let me speak?

"--AND ILL RIP YOUR THROAT OUT AND SHOVE GALLONS OF ACID INTO YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOURE NOTHING BUT A RADIOACTIVE, DANCING, LOATHSOME CORPSE! ILL BREAK A FINGER FOR EACH TIME THEYVE SCREAMED AND ILL TEAR OUT YOUR EYES IF THEY HAVE ANYTHING MORE THAN A BRUISE ON THEM! WHEN-"

rolling my eyes, i turned to look at jacklyn, gesturing for him to go away for now until i sought him out again. of course, he was hesitant to follow my instructions with someone screaming death threats at me through the phone, though he left anyways.

growing tired of the useless, empty promises of a painful deat from doppio, i abruptly hung up on him and shoved the phone back into my pocket, ignoring the familiar buzzing of a number that dialed back immediately after. 

--------------

it sure took a while, but i made it back to my bakery in one piece and managed to make the place look like there was somewhat of a struggle. all that was left to do was to prep myself and make it look like i had been here the entire time, beaten and dressed like a hostage.

now, i hadnt gone into the kitchen yet, since i was sure the scene of the main bakery itself would trouble doppio enough upon his arrival. after all, i would be pretending to be held captive in the kitchen, so as long as some sort of scene was made, i should be able to talk my way out of this as usual.

pushing against the swinging door and walking into the backroom, i began to quickly strip myself of my clothes, starting with the harness that held my weapons. however, before i could fully disarm myself, a frantic buzzing resumed in my pocket, someone ringing my phone once more. "youre kidding..."

"oh, no, im very much not kidding." an agitated voice growled from behind me, its tone low and husk. "i know you feel your phone ringing. answer it."

alarmed, i twisted my head around to face the speaker, finding doppio glaring at me with piercing green eyes, his body sitting stiffly on the counter with a phone of his own gripped tightly in his hand, my number displayed on the screen. i staggered backward from surprise, body ramming into the stove and leaving me seething with pain in my lower back. 

he didnt seem fazed, let alone threatened with me being so close to him. then again, im the one acting like a coward and backing away from a skinny, weak, fragile mobster that i could probably snap like a twig.

"where the hell were you." he asked in a snarl, and by god, id be lying if i said im totally not sweating bullets right now.

"what are you talking about? i just had a chat with ya little (girlfriend/boyfriend/partner) is all!"

"i know for a fact that you werent, you damn liar."

i shivered, watching him hop off the counter and stomp toward me. i was frozen in place, body unable to move with those strange emerald eyes pinning me in place. even more off-putting, i always remembered doppio having hazel eyes, leaving me to wonder if i was just going crazy from anxiety.

"oh really~? then where was i, hm? do you know?"

"bucciarati phoned me and told me that you took a hostage from the train he was traveling on. so, yes, i know where you were."

bucciarati told him? what a filthy snitch! karma catches up with everyone, but ill make sure that bruno gets his early. "oh, boo-hoo! and here i thought i was going to surprise you! but then again, your precious little (y/n) never said a word about you or their stay at the mobs manor, so im left to construct a plan from scratch in order to get your attention!

without warning, my hands were pulled above my head and pinned to the ventilator atop the stove, which i found puzzling as i was always positive that doppio had been shorter than me...

"of course you wouldn't say anything, you were once one our top mobster!"

"what in the world are you talking about?! ive never been in the damn mob, you jolly-rancher looking-ass!"

his grip on my wrists grew stronger, the thought of them actually snapping crossing my mind before i brushed it off. "im tired of you playing dumb! i found your case file, morte! i know who are, you fucking fake!"

i paused, clearly caught and exposed. "....what?"

"I SAID I FUCKING KNOW WHO YOU ARE, MORTE!"