24- morte nascosta

(uh so i was rereading old chapters, cringing at the writing and clear plotholes... when i realized i went from spelled y/ns name as 'morte noscosta' to 'morte nascosta' like an idiot-- yall plz just ignore that i literally have no brain :') )

bestie how do i tell you we have only 4 chapters left 🧍‍♀️

-----

"...and then i was all like 'my bestie is gonna come beat you up for stealing my wig!' and they said 'yeah ok whatever!' and then you came and they were all like 'oh no! let's go, they're gonna beat us up!'"

i laughed, and laughed, until my stomach was sure to crumble under its own pressure. "yeah, i remember that very clearly, alessia. those girls were just jealous that you were so much prettier than them."

monitors beeped and whirred, beams of metal standing on their own, balanced on squeaky wheels that had been locked into place. harsh cold air broke into the room through the vents right above our heads, washing us in a freezing temperature that was less than pleasurable.

"you think im pretty?" alessia repeated, stars beginning to flood her eyes. 

and i would always reply, "of course!" because how could i not?

"...even without my hair?" she'd continue. it was always at this point she'd subconsciously bring her hand to her head, as if she were attempting to hide it from my sight with shame.

"even without your hair, you're still the prettiest girl in the world."

"really? am i pretty like a princess?"

"gorgeous! a princess wouldnt even be the right name to call you!"

"then do you think i can rule italy, and make this place nice again?"

i tilted my head, letting an amused smirk brush off my adoring expression. "rule italy, you say? and what would you do to make it nice?"

"i'd get someone to get rid of bad guys!" alessia tutted, as if to say her intelligence was far above mine. hell, maybe it was. "i wont have time to do it myself, being the ruler of italy and all~! so i'd get some super special guards to get rid of people for me!"

"really? what kid of guards would you have?"

"super sneaky guards, but also super scary ones!"
"squirt, your idea of scary is people wearing skeleton masks."
"c'mon, they're spooky! that's why i'd have my personal guards wear them, to scare away bad guys!"

laughing through my sigh, i leaned forward on the hospital bed and rested my head on my elbows, staring up at my sister with an interested expression. "i guess you're right... what else would you have your guards wear?"

"well, the dark is super scary too, so i'd make them wear black! and they look like a super victorian detective attending a ball, because my guards have to look super fancy--" she reached to her side, pulling a sheet of paper off of her nightstand provided b the hospital. "--look! i even drew it!"

smiling, i took the piece of paper from her hand and looked it over with urgency, taking in all her art had to offer.

it was a scribbly drawing of a presumably muscular person dressed in black, as she had stated, with quite the strange accessories. they wore a wide brimmed hat that somewhat shadowed the skeletal mask they wore-- their torso covered in a tight black top that was strung into place by a neat corset; right below it being some flashy vinyl pants, veiled by a frilly waistcape and tucked into heavy boots.

"so, this is what you'd want your guard to look like?" i grinned, peering up at alessia, with a cocked eyebrow. "they look fancy."

"super-duper fancy!" she chirped, picking up the paper and staring at it with great admiration, before turning to look out the window. "sometimes, i imagine them flying by my window to catch bad guys, stopping to wave at me, their princess, before hopping off again."