12- not your average backstory

why do i kill?

i kill for my sister, the one person that saw hope in italy even when italy had no hope for her.

---flashback time!---

"youre a cheater!" i screamed, throwing my hands into the air. "why would you do that!"

Alessia would laugh, blocking her face as i threw monopoly money at her with rage. "because you never caught on! i could be the greatest villain in the world and you'd never know!"

my sister, Alessia, was always sharp-minded. she would constantly come up with little schemes and ideas that could improve italy, for both better or worse. some involved a change in politics, and others involved certain degrees of murder, which i for someone reason agreed with as an actual answer to a few of italys many problems.

she was also exceptionally quick to defend herself, her excuses for anything almost coming up on the spot and allowing her a quick getaway, just like myself. if i didnt know any better, id say she was a criminal mastermind, honing the ability to bring a simple country to its knees with her schemes.

if only she wasnt bound to a freezing cold bed, wires plugged into her veins and monitors screaming for several doctors to come in every other day. indie music would play softly on low-quality speakers to dull the beeping of a rising and falling green line, almost as if it were drawing mountains according to the beat of a dying song.

"so, how's your new job doing?"

i would freeze for a moment, but only a moment. "it's doing me fine. income is steady, and your bills should be payed soon!"

Alessias hand would come up to scratch her bare scalp, wires pulling against the stands they were attached to. "really? i didnt think that the mob would pay that much."

while she may have the mind of an expert criminal, she was still an eleven year old. worrisome and innocent. "ideally, that would mean youre involved in the more dangerous jobs, such as killing and drug trades, correct?"

i was never able to deduce how she managed to come to those conclusions. the correct conclusions, nonetheless. "how did you know?"

"its obvious, (y/n)! you wouldnt give someone one hundred dollars to go make a five-minute deal with another gang, right? youd give them a hundred dollars to do things that take more risk, more expirience. its that simple."

"truly a genius, alessia." i would reply rather starkly, cleaning up the monopoly mess we made on her sheer blankets. "tell me, why are you so interested in crime? why not try to better the country instead of focusing on whats making it worse?"

"because," she'd reply, "the only things that are supposed to be good about this country, italy, are the worst. crime runs rampant because of corrupt police. do you happen to understand why police are corrupt?"

id pretend i didnt know, just to see her face light up and to hear her endless string of ideas to improve a minimal issue. "no, i dont know why police would end up as bad guys. why is that, alessia?"

"theyre corrupt because of bribes! well- thats obvious, but, why do they accept bribes? its because the criminals are able to offer the cops more in bribe money than what their jobs are willing to pay them! if, perhaps, the government managed to raise the pay for cops higher so it wouldnt be worth accepting bribes, then the issue would be solved! now, we know no one is going to take action to do this, so, i have a second idea!"

i leaned in close, an excited and anxious expression turning my face into a giddy grin. "what is it, oh wise one?"

"are you ready for this idea? i dont think youre ready for this!" she giggled, hugging her new, pink teddy bear i bought for her close to her chest.