Chapter 16: Being the Duke?

Trying your best to be like your father, but reality always tells you, you can never be anything but his shadow was something very common for Ijekiel.

He really didn’t remember his mother because he was very young at her death, but he knew his father was madly in love with her

It was hard to imagine his very stern father in love. Anyways, Duke Alpheus’ love life had nothing to do in this matter.

A competent man who was serious with paper work. Always stroke a right business deal. Sparing no room for emotions, was who his father was.

And his father expected him to be the perfect son.

But how could he be the perfect son when he was easily swayed by emotions.

There was a meeting held with the counsel and the emperor to discuss the impending ever growing import duties charged on their merchants in other kingdoms.

“Your Majesty, for a small kingdom to have such nerve means they don’t know the power of the Obelian Empire which rules the whole continent! It will be easy to deal with that king. Dethrone him and hand over the title to his third son who seems like the only one with common sense among the lot”  A marquis suggested angrily as his people were mostly affected.

“What do you think about this Prime Minister?” Emperor Claude said referring to the man with white hair and golden eyes.

“A dethronement will require administration with the Alpheus Dukedom”

“Aren’t you the Duke of Alpheus, Roger?”

The man with white hair and golden eyes straightened his back and said informatively “Currently I serve as the Prime minister in this counsel. All matters concerning the Alpheus Dukedom will be discussed with the heir of Alpheus”

The youngest at the table who was none other than Ijekiel himself, flinched unnoticeably by everyone, except for the two princesses who quietly watched through the blinded glass, where no one from the outside could see or hear them.

Watching council meetings was part of a royals duties. It would serve as a learning experience by listening to dialogue’s and different ideas.

“Why did his father put him in a difficult position?” Anthanasia asked Jennette who gazed quietly at the meeting.

“He isn’t trying to put him in a difficult position. He believes in Ijekiel’s capability more than anything else. He wants to train Ijekiel to be able to stand on his own two feet.

You may see me as naïve in thinking like that, but what’s so wrong to believe in the best scenario?

Always planning the worst case scenario and being paranoid and cunning doesn’t ‘define’ your wisdom.

It’s obvious his son is his pride. I can see it in his eyes” Jennette said as a sweet smile blossomed on her lips.

Anthanasia watched the meeting with interest waiting to see his response. From what she had seen of Roger Alpheus, he wasn’t a man capable of loving his son.

But her thought was proven wrong as she watched his eyes as his son spoke.

“Dethroning the king wouldn’t be a good idea. It could be seen as tyranny and abuse of power to other people. Besides, other kingdoms would also increase their import duties over time, we can’t just punish them by dethronement. They could all decide to continue increasing import duties and if we continue dethronement, it could lead to a revolt”

“Then what do you suppose we do?” Emperor Claude asked coldly staring at Ijekiel.

“Beat them at their own game. The Obelian Empire is the base of every resource in the world. There are so many of their merchants in the Empire, increase their import rate and tax fees” Ijekiel said meaningfully.

“Won’t that be even worse than the so called act of ‘tyranny’ by dethronement?”

“In the constitution it states that no ruler of a federated kingdom can be dethroned as long as secession rights can only be obtained by a revolt. The ruler can only be dethroned by the counsel board of the empire if, the ruler has committed an act of treason against the royal down wagers or have involved themselves with dark magic.

So this option is better as it also states in the constitution that every time a new ruler reigns in Obelia, taxes will increase by 2.5% for half of his reign. Due to the benevolence of the 183rd Emperor, he didn’t implement this law but it is still a law.

Other kingdoms probably don’t know of this so they will quiver in fear and the import duty charge will go back to normal.

If they feel wronged, we show them the place where the law was stated. “

Roger Alpheus gazed lovingly at his son as a little smile formed on his face and disappeared as quickly as it came.

Anthanasia felt warm inside as she watched the seen. Had her father ever looked at her that way?

She let out an exasperated sigh as she picked up a cookie and threw it into her mouth half-heartedly.

In the past she listened to these meeting with every single atom of attention but these days they seemed boring.

Maybe it was because she wasn’t as stern as she once was.

‘In the next meeting they’ll be discussing about the Empire’s missing chocolate supply. I’ve found out how to take care of the cargo~’

However, her chocolate theft plans was once again interrupted by the summons of the Emperor.