Chapter 19: Nobody Wants The Throne

“Did you hear, the Emperor is currently unconscious”

“Princess Anthanasia is obviously a bad omen. The day she accompanies the Emperor such a thing happens.

“What if the Emperor doesn’t wake up? The successor hasn’t been chosen. Though Princess Jennette is kind she’s too innocent to rule the Empire and Princess Anthanasia is just too wicked”

Only when things turned dark, would people’s true colors shine brightly; Anthanasia quickly jotted down the decision and reasons for accepting a proposal from a small kingdom as she used Emperor Claude’s journal as a reference point.

Thmp. A stack of papers was dropped on the desk Anthanasia sat on as the person who dropped it slumped on a chair beside her.

“Wow, you’ve been sitting in that chair for over two hours. You should take a break and let me at least try SOMETHING” Jennette said gently trying to lighten up the mood.

”It’s okay. I feel comfortable here” Anthanasia said shortly as she picked up another parchment.

“Athy. I’m also a princess! I have to at least help this Empire in some way! I admire everything you do. How you work hard for Obelia. How you work hard for the throne. You don’t need to stress yourself any more than you do. I don’t want the throne” Jennette said bluntly as tears welled up in her eyes.

“I don’t want the throne. Everything I’ve done has never been for the throne. It’s been done so I could be acknowledged as a princess by the emperor. As his daughter.” Anthanasia said raising her eyes to meet Jennette’s.

“But, I originally thought why you never wanted to get close to me was because you saw me as competition for the throne?” Jennette asked.

“No. I just didn’t know how to get close to you. Who gave you such an idea?”

“My aunt…

‘As much as Jennette is doing her best to be less naïve and shrewder, she can’t just change overnight.
There are some people close to her heart that she can’t easily believe they have any malicious intentions.
Her aunt is a typical example. The only person who can tell her memories of her mother clearly’

“So. Nobody wants the throne? Then wants going to happen to Obelia. After da-, the Emperor’s rule is over, who will take over?” Jennette asked carefully.

“I don’t know”

“Do you think he’ll actually wake up?”

“I…don’t know”

Anthanasia came and sat beside the sleeping emperor and gazed down at him as her mind wandered.

‘You have always been superior to me and hated me as long as I can remember for a reason I do not know of.

Have I been a disgrace to you? Your child, born from a dancer, a stain on your name.

Don’t other Emperor’s usually have lots of children born from commoners? Is it because I’ve never been good enough? I’ve never reached your standards? I’ve put in my best in everything I have done because of you.

It’s ironic now how I can look down on you. You’re vulnerable and weak in this state. You’ve always talked of killing me, but what if I killed you, here and now’

Time seemed to stop as her hands moved towards his neck just to stop by his cheek “Why have you never loved me? Why have you always hated me”

The question she had always wanted to ask him could only be asked while he was unconscious.

His actions were unclear and painful as each day it wounded her heart.

The man who was her full flesh and blood, her father, never loved her.

“You better wake up” Her eyes turned cold and resembled his with anger alongside sadness that burned within her.

___________
Ah, I apologize for the slow update. I had been writing my exams, my schedule has been tight and my parents put me on a strict no device ban which has slowly lessened.

BTW, one more chapter before the first arc of the story is over. Check out the ‘Table of Contents’ on the very FIRST chapter of the book, to see the future chapters.

To support this story, vote, comment, drop a follow and check out my other stories on my bio!

Thanks for reading~ And have a nice day/night!

Signing out.
-Adivonna