Chapter 33: Good Sister

"If it’s for sister, I will be the naughtiest in the empire" -Jennette

((______________))

The sun was still in the sky as the sky turned orange. The evening sky looked very pretty, an amazing sight to see.

Jennette sat at the window side gazing at the beautiful sky. So many thoughts flooded her mind.

Right now she was eighteen years old. Four years ago, when she was fourteen, she had been reunited with her family which was Anthanasia and the emperor.

At that time, all she focused on was becoming a person worthy to be a princess of Obelia and connecting with her two family members.

But the latter goal wasn't easy because of the Emperor's cold demeanour to everyone including his daughters. Eventually he warmed up to her however he was so cold towards Anthanasia that almost seemed as if he hated her.

Lovely Princess

Loathed Princess

She was the one who was referred to as the 'lovely princess'. Since the moment she was recognized as a princess she had been showered with unending love and praises, but now she felt guilty for all of it.

"She's so pretty!"

"What a kind princess she is"

"Far kinder than Anthanasia"

She was supposed to be happy right? Because of all the good words about her. So why was she guilty? Because in the end she wasn't the Emperor's daughter.

All that praise was supposed to be meant for Anthanasia; the only real daughter of the Emperor.

She had been a false princess.

Claude had showered her with gifts unimaginable. Jewels and treasures of every kind. And given her warmth and love.

But what had Anthanasia - his real daughter - received? Nothing!

It was like she had taken away everything meant for Anthanasia. If she felt bad because of these facts how would Anthanasia herself feel?

Tears welled up in her eyes. She had always hoped for the best for Anthanasia and awaited the day were the Emperor would also love Anthanasia as his daughter. But from the beginning wasn't it obvious that they could never be a 'happy family'.

She recalled the day were she was introduced to the imperial family at Anthanasia's debut ball.

.
.
.
.

"So you say that she's my daughter" Emperor Claude sat on his throne majestically, staring down at Ijekiel, Duke Alpheus and Jennette.

He turned and looked at the pale face of Anthanasia then smirked. "Interesting" He turned his eyes away from her.

.
.
.

Though she had failed realize it before, she understood it now. When he said 'interesting' it wasn't because of the fact that Jennette was introduced -- but rather because Anthanasia was feeling sad at that moment.

If she had been in Anthanasia's place that day, heart would have been thorn to pieces.

On the day of one of your biggest celebrations, your father didn't care and a new sister was introduced, taking away the little attention which was focused on you.

At that time Jennette was too excited about her new family, and had failed to think any further. Or maybe it was because she had been too naive.

Now she had changed into a better version of herself.

She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand, coming back to reality.

Now wasn't the time to cry. What had happened had already happened. There was no way to go back into the past and change things.

'But I can change things from the present'

All she had to do now was her best. The Emperor showed no sign of waking up. She had cried a lot but crying wasn't the solution.

Anthanasia had been a good sister to her, so she also had to return the favour.

"Jennette"

At the call of her name she turned around. The person was none other than Anthanasia.

"Oh. When did you come here?"

"Well, I was knocking for some time and you weren't replying so I just came in, though it's against everything my etiquette teacher taught me"

"Who cares about etiquette? You're the Emperor proxy. You can be a tyrant if you want" Jennette said jokingly.

"Hmm. You're right. We can strip all the nobles of their powers and rule Obelia  the way we want"

The two laughed at the thought then looked at the sky.

"The sky is really pretty" Anthanasia said focused on the view.

"It sure is" Jennette smiled gently.

'The happiness in every moment is what matters the most. No matter what problems we face, I promise to be a good sister'