Chapter 37: Love or Power?

"Love is unnecessary. Can it take care of you the same way how money and power will?" -Penelope Judith.

((______________))

Rosalina sat in her sisters room for the first time throughout her life.

The walls were all white. Popular paintings hanging here and there. A few dull flowers with little smell.

It was quite unlike her childish room which was all pink with colourful flowers here and there.

She then decided to change her room interior to be something similar to Penelope's and even better.

Rosalina just wanted to be better than Penelope in anyway possible. Even to the pettiest things.

Penelope sat before her then asked in a calm manner. "Rosalina, how old are you?"

"Thirteen" She answered trying to hide her anger.

'Has she forgotten when I was born?!'

Was her birth such an insignificant event? It actually did make sense. Whenever it was her birthday Penelope would only say her customary 'happy birthday' when their father brought up talk about ye birthday celebration.

"That means you'll have your debut this year. Which month were you born?"

"May"

"Ah. So it is. It means some engagement proposals must have come in. How many do you have at the moment?"

Rosalina clenched her fist in annoyance. Was Penelope trying to mock her? It was known I'm high society that Rosalina never received any proposals. How could Penelope not know that?

"None"

A slight frown appeared on Penelope's face. "None? Really? That's strange. When I was your age I thought I received hundreds of proposals"

"Your telling me you haven't heard talk about me in high society? The fact that I receive no marriage proposals is quite popular" Rosalinda's tone became sharp.

"I haven't heard one bit. I don't ask around for my family matters unless it's a rumour about me" Penelope said calmly.

"Father talks about it very much"

"Well I don't usually listen to all that the man rants about"

Rosalina was silent. The man? How could Penelope refer to their father in such a way? Rosalina held their father in such high regard but it seemed that Penelope barely respected him.

"Rosalina I have something to tell you. You know how loyal our family is to the Emperor of Obelia. There's news that the Emperor is engaging a daughter of Count Margareta to the 4th Prince.

Wouldn't it be great if the proposal was to be yours? Next week we're going to the imperial palace. It would be great if you left a favourable impression on the 4th prince"

"I-

"Rosalina just do as I tell you" Her eyes became cold and her tone sharp. "Just go and think about it. You can leave"

Rosalina got up to leave seeing as she was being chased away.

"Would you choose love or power?" She heard Penelope say as she was about to close the door.

She immediately went into her room, dwelling on Penelope's statement.

>>>>>>>
Rosalina did a lot of research on the 4th Prince of Obelia  throughout the whole night.

The 4th Prince of Obelia was Claude de Alger Obelia.

He was smart and good at fighting. His mother had been a simple Baron's daughter and had died because of an illness when he was eight.

He was currently seventeen but didn't have any fiancée. It was already known that he fancied Penelope.

Rosalina then tried to see what Penelope was trying to do here. But she couldn't figure it out.

She didn't was to play into Penelope's game by making the 4th Prince like her. However, it would feel good to finally take away something from Penelope.

She imagined it. Making the Prince that liked Penelope to like her!

"Would you choose love or power?" The question rang over and over again in her head.

The decision was quite obvious. Power of course!

She then decided; She would make Claude fall in love with her.