Chapter 16

"Is something wrong, troopers?" I asked hesitantly, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. They both stepped forward suddenly and an alarm rang out in my head like a warning before they began shooting at us. Jumping up from our seats we had all reached for our sabers and worked to deflect as many shots as we could. I thought quickly and stood onto the table, flipping it over so that we could take cover from the attack. The two girls followed my lead and dove over the table. We each had our backs resting against the cool metal as I called out. "Troopers! Stand down!"

The two girls and I ignited our sabers just in time for Barriss to quickly jump up again and cut the blaster that Ox held above us. I punched him back in his moment of shock for his weapon not working then Ahsoka force pushed Edge right into Ox as they both crashed into the wall. We sighed while standing up further and exiting our cover of the table only for two more clones to arrive. The other Padawans quickly pointed their sabers accusingly at the men while I observed the situation carefully. The two troopers raised their hands in defence, confused as to our change in mood.

"What are you doing?" Trap questioned us with worry and confusion.

"Two clones just attacked us. What is going on?" Ahsoka demanded answers sternly, pushing her saber closer to the clones.

"Trap, do you know what happened to those troopers?" Barriss nodded to the two men behind us who were both laying unconscious.

"Couldn't tell you, Commander. I'm just as confused as-" he started to explain until Barriss sternly cut him off.

"You're in charge of those men! Did you order them to kill us?" She grew angry with every word.

"No, sir! I did not." He stated but I felt uneasy with the situation still.

"What's happening? Why would they do this?" Ahsoka further pushed.

"We don't know. We heard shots." The other trooper explained why they had arrived right after the fight took place.

"Why should we believe you?" I questioned calmly, face to face with both men.

"Look, no guns." Trap spoke as they both set their blasters to the ground slowly as if not to panic us.

"These men wouldn't just attack us without reason." Barriss spoke as we all lowered our sabers.

"My Master had a clone betray them once, a traitor who was paid off by Ventress."  Ahsoka mentioned the story of the battle of Cristophosis before we had arrived .

"It can't be that simple. At least, it didn't feel like that." I turned to face the two unconscious clones behind us.

"Excuse me, sir, we should make sure that we're still in control of the bridge." Trap offered his idea.

"Bridge, this is Barriss. Respond." She commed them. No response. "Bridge" she tried again sternly with impatience.

"We need to get up there. We need to find out what's going on." Ahsoka urged as we got no response again.

"But these two will be coming around any minute." Barriss refused to leave them alone.

"Havoc can watch them until we check on the bridge." Trap suggested.

"Okay. Let's go." I lead our small team out of the mess hall and into the corridors of the ship. Running through the halls we had reached the entrance to the bridge when suddenly a shield ray was put up, blocking our way.

"Someone doesn't want us going up there." Ahsoka noted as we all pulled to a stop in front of the red shield.

"I'll attempt to override the controls." I told them, kneeling next to the panel and pressing a button. I sensed something was off and quickly turned around to notice Trap had backed up from the two girls. Jumping into action I ignited a saber and deflected a blast from hitting either girl. Next I moved to cut his blaster but instead he decided to lunge at me. "He's infected!" I shouted out as a worm type creature escaped his nose and attempted to infect me. I used the force to retrieve one of my sabers that had been knocked from my hand during his attack and impaled the trooper to get him away from me. "Get this thing off me!" I ordered as the worm slithered around my face. I threw it off and Ahsoka sliced it in half before it hit the ground. With a sigh I placed my hands on my knees to catch my breath.