Chapter 72

Explosions sounded out around me, loud and booming. Falling to my knees in the midst of the fight I let out the tears as I held my head. My mind was clouded with memories of those we lost in the dark battle of the clone war.

"What is she doing?" Anakin asks to the men and himself at the sight of me breaking down in the middle of a battlefield. "Rex, go get her!" He ordered out, knowing this wouldn't end soon and I was in danger.

"Yes, sir!" Rex didn't even have to think about it before he rushed to my side. He held me close to him while shooting back the droids that threatened to get too close. Anakin rushed out to give us cover to get back behind our own lines.

"Go! Now!" With those words Rex quickly pulled me to my feet and dragged me with him before ducking us both behind cover just as another blast went off.

His hands reached up to my face, gently moving away my hands that covered my eyes as I was rambling mumbles to myself and tears flowed from my eyes. A confused and hurt expression pulled on his face at the sight of my pain, not knowing what exactly had caused this breakdown.

"She seems to be having a panic attack, sir. You'll need to help her calm down" Kix reported as he stood over Rexs shoulder to have a look at the situation I was in.

"Why me?" Rex immediately panicked, not knowing if he would be good enough to help me.

"Because she's closer to you than she is me and she'll probably feel more comfortable" the medic replied before rushing off to help his other brothers who had been wounded in the chaos.

"Lyra? Can you look at me?" His voice was soft and he held my face in his hands still, honey coloured eyes watching my shaking figure. "Please" the soldiers voice cracked ever so slightly. My eyes looked up to meet his and he sighed in relief.

"Rex?" I choked out.

"I'm here, I'm here. Just focus on me, okay?" I nodded at his words, him smiling slightly. "Keep looking at me" he started again, gloved hands gently wiping away my tears as they fell. "Copy my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. There you go, your getting the hang of it"

I continued to take in deep breaths until I had calmed enough to retreat with the others. He stood up and walked me away, careful that we wouldn't get shot while retreating. Upon entering our base set up he had set me down on a cot and knelt in front of me.

"How are you feeling?" His tone was soft and gentle, not wanting to push me into another panic.

"Better" I let out another shaky breath.

"Do you want to talk about what happened back there?"

"Not really"

"That's alright, I'll always be here when you need or want someone to talk to"

"I could've died" I gasped as the realization hit me hard, hand raised to my mouth in shock.

"No, don't think like that. You are still here and breathing and right now that's all that matters" he had a gloved hand resting on my knee before I had tackled him in tight a hug.

"Thank you Rex" I hid my head in his shoulder while he gently rubbed my back, glad that I was safe and feeling better.

"Remember, If you ever need someone to talk to about anything, I'll be there"

~~~

I was side by side with Ahsoka, deflecting blasts and cutting down droids when a loud explosion in the distance caught my attention.

"Does anybody have eyes on the captain?" Obi Wans voice called through comms and my heart sank.

"Lyra, focus!" Ahsoka urged as I had narrowly missed a shot to my head. I shook my head, fighting back as I lead my own small group of troopers further into battle, finishing off the army quickly.