Chapter 22

"Allow me to introduce my fellow Jedi, Anakin Skywalker and my Padawan, Lyra Jayko" Obi Wan motioned to Anakin and I.

"Your servant, my lady." Anakin stepped forward and bowed as I did the same.

"I remember a time when Jedi were not generals, but peacekeepers." She scowled at the three of us. I gave her a slight look of shock as she spoke to us in such a harsh tone.

"We are protectors, Highness. Yours at the moment. We fight for peace." Anakin protested gently to the Duchess.

"What an amusing contradiction." She laughed lightly at his protest.

"What Master Skywalker means is that we are acting at the behest of Your Highness to protect you from the Death Watch and the Separatists, who don't share your neutral point of view." Obi Wan stepped up to her, explaining why we were there.

"I asked for no such thing." Satine argued.

"That may be so, but a majority of your court did." Kenobi reminded.

"I do not remember you as one to hide behind excuses." She continued to go back and forth with him.

"I do not remember you as one to shrink from responsibilities." He countered.

"I am certain we all agree Duchess Satine and General Kenobi have proven there are two sides to every dilemma." A blue Twilek man stepped in to stop the argument.

"Indeed." Another person agreed.

"Now, in regard to the Senate vote, we think—" the blue man was cut off rudely by Satine.

"I think a multitude makes discord, not good council."

"Right again, my lady" the Twilek bowed to her to show his respect.

"There may be two sides to every dilemma, but the Duchess only favors hers." Obi Wan whispered to Anakin and I. "A Republic military presence is the only sure defense against the Separatists." Obi Wan started up again, walking back towards the Duchess.

"Even extremists can be reasoned with." Satine stood up this time.

"Perhaps, if one can be heard over the clanking of their battle droids." Obi Wan and Satine walked closer to each other with anger.

"The sarcasm of a soldier." She glared.

"The delusion of a dreamer." He countered.

"Should we stop them?" I asked Anakin in a whisper.

"No I'm enjoying this" he claimed sipping on his martini. I rolled my eyes at his behaviours as we continued to watch the argument unfold.

"Duchess, Master Jedi, it's been a long trip. I think we could all use a little rest and refreshment." A man stopped them.

"Hear, hear. Now let us put politics aside until after dinner." The blue man agreed.

"Fine!"

"Fine!" Satine pushed past Kenobi, leaving the room as Obi Wan watched her go. Soon after Obi Wan had moved into the hall as well.

"Give me that, we have a job to do" I took the glass from Anakin as he went to take another sip.

"But-" he started to object but it was too late as I had already given it to a servant droid and walked out to follow my Master.

~~~

"You and Satine have a history." Anakin pointed out as the three of us wandered through the halls of the ship.

"An extended mission when I was younger. Master Qui-Gon and I spent a year on Mandalore, protecting the Duchess from insurgents who had threatened her world. They sent bounty hunters after us." He explained their history as we stepped into the elevator. "We were always on the run, living hand to mouth, never sure what the next day would bring." Obi Wan continued to recall the memory's of a simpler time before the war.