1. Running

LILY POV:

243.334 days. That's 34.762 weeks.

8 months of being on the run...

Now, firstly, I would like to point out that it was NOT my fault. Well, I didn't really mean for it to happen, so it technically want my fault. Okay I wanted it to happen but I couldn't control my damn patience

Shit. It was my fault.

Nah wait, fuck that. It wasn't my fault, it was Luca's fault. Yeah. Always blame it on Luca, that's right.

They say twins are your other half, but I call bullshit. The only half he has is half a brain missing. The idiot.

"What are you thinking about?" A deep voice interrupts my thoughts as I attempt to zip closed the backpack that's in tatters. Honestly, I have no idea how it's still in one piece.

I glance up at Luca before focusing my attention back on forcing the zipper closed, "about how you're a dumb fuck." I state, smiling in triumph when the damn bag finally seals shut.

Luca hums in agreement, because obviously he's not going to disagree with me. He lifts the cover of the small twin bed that looks like it's covered in stains of substances I'd rather not identify. Can't complain though, the golden watch we swiped from the guy on the street managed to get us enough cash for a motel room that didn't have a peeping hole in the wall like the last one.

I hold back a chuckle remembering how Luca pummelled the creepy pervert who wouldn't stop undressing me with his dull eyes and scratching his dry beard, causing dry flakes of skin to flutter in the air.

"Where is the remote? I need it" He asks. I look towards the small TV that's no bigger than my hand, with a giant crack across the screen. "What for?" I question.

He looks at me, his deep green eyes mischievous as a smirk begins pulling at his mouth, "so I can turn off your bitch switch."

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "Bitch-tit"

"Dick-eyes" he retorts. "Come on," he grabs the bag from my hands and puts his arms through the armholes. "We need to move, we've been here for a week already. We can't risk staying here any longer."

I tighten the laces of my thick boots before checking around the room to make sure we leave no evidence; we already wiped down the surfaces of everything we touched.

"Onto the next adventure brother!" I force excitement into my voice. He gives me a sympathetic smile before grabbing my hand as we make our way through the door.

*********
My eyes are darting around the diner that we stopped at for dinner. We didn't have enough money to eat anything while we hiked across the city, so we chose to come to the first cheap diner we saw. The stools at the counter are rusted and the booth cushions have holes where the foam filling is visible.

My eyes latch onto an elderly man perched at the counter, his back hunched, and his wooden walking stick lying against the his leg. I quickly scan his belongings and spot a thick wallet by his left hand and my eyes light up. "Bingo," I whisper, nodding my head in his direction.

Don't get me wrong, we hate what we have to do, but we have to do it to survive. We won't take all of it, just enough so we can scrape by. And then beg whoever is listening to forgive our sins.

Luca pushes his oak coloured hair, almost an identical match to my own, away from his eyes. He lets out a sigh before standing, walking towards the woman behind the counter.

She looks to be in her late forties, only slight greying in her hair which suggests she must either have one or two kids or she is overworking herself. The dark bags she attempted to cover and the tenseness in her shoulders hint towards that.

"Hi pumpkin. What can I get for ya?" Her chipper voice travels towards me and I try not to cringe at the whole cheeriness in it.

Luca taps his chin, acting as though he is contemplating what to get, when in actuality it's my signal to move. I rise from the not so comfortable cushion of the seat and lower my head, causing my long curls to fall in-front of my eyes.

"Ooh. I'll have the chocolate mint milksh-" Luca is cut off when my foot catches the walking stick and I land on the cold faded tiles on the floor. He rushes towards me when I let out a small "ow" sound.

His left hand rest on the counter and he uses his right to pull me back to my feet. "Oh my dear, are you quite alright? I'm getting silly in my old age, leaving that thing in the way. Please forgive me." The old mans voice sounds tired and defeated. Fuck sake, why could he have been angry at me, it would've made this a whole lot easier.

"It's okay," I say in a small voice. This really isn't acting, because his eyes are on me watching and I feel my fingers begin to twitch. Now is not the time to have an anxiety attack Lily. Pull yourself together woman.

From my peripheral vision I see Luca slip his fingers inside the wallet before shoving his hand in his pocket, leaving the wallet in its exact position. You wouldn't have noticed unless you were looking for it.

He interlocks our fingers, "come on," gently pulling me towards the door, he squeezes my hand to let me know he's right there.

"How much?" I wait until we are out of earshot to ask. He pulls out a stack of green notes and begins to count. He runs a hand down his face in frustration, "including what we have left over from the watch and the ring..." he breaks out into a huge grin. "$800."

I halt my steps, "what?!" I exclaim, unsure if he's messing with me right now. "How much does the old guy carry with him!"

He lets places both hands on my shoulders and looks down at me, "where to now, lily? Pick any place you want. Absolutely anywhere."

I take a minute to decide. If we had that much, then we would be staying in the place I choose for a few weeks at least; longer if we manage to pull another successful slip. "Hmm. Please can it be..."

"Florida." I conclude. He pulls me into a hug and places a kiss on my forehead as he pulls back.

"Anything for you."

—**—

Words: 1103

A/N : please let me know what you think so far! Don't forget to vote and comment on anything you potentially want to happen in the future...