23. Cupcake

LILY POV:

I stare at it as though it's done me a great misdeed. As though it's taken over my home country, slaughtered my family and locked me in a cage. As though it's very existence is-

Lu snaps his fingers in front of my face, "hey. Stop staring at the cupcake like it's talking to you. It's freaking me out."

Ciara giggles, "maybe she's trying to calculate how many calories she's eaten. God knows she eats hundreds of those things a day."

Ouch. I force a smile, picking up the chocolate cupcake. "These 'things' are what keep me sane. This chocolate heaven is stopping me from going batshit crazy." They all laugh, none of them realising I've pushed away my tray, leaving the muffin untouched.

I lean into Dalton, "I'm going to the toilet. I'll be like two minutes so no, you don't need to come. I'll be fine." I reassure him when I notice him rising from the seat.

I scan the stalls to make sure the room is empty before I make my way over to the sinks, the old mirrors looking at me. I lift my shirt, looking at my stomach in the reflection as I turn to get a side view. I shove my top back down, clenching my fists.

My body has changed since we've been living with my brothers, but the ugly scars still remain. The memories remain. I knock the side of my head as my eyes blur, my breathing becoming heavy. Not again, please...

⚠️
"Please. No please!" I begged him, but he tugged at my hair. Forcing my head back.

"Stop with the whining you ungrateful bitch. I could've killed you years ago." He pulls me up by my knotted hair, pushing his front to my back. The knife in his hand digs harder into my abdomen.

"Let's play a game, make it more fun, hm?" When I stay silent he digs the top of the blade in deeper, and I feel it pierce my flesh. My whimper is his answer.

"Good. How about, every time you make a noise I push this further in your stomach?" He pushes in deeper and I let out a cry.

"No, no, no. This is just too easy." He tuts. Then he thrusts the knife through my body.
⚠️

I'm okay. I'm not there. He's not here. He can't get me anymore.

But that's not true, is it?

Because he is here. And he is coming after me. And he'll never stop until he gets us.

We can never be safe.

———
"Are you sure you don't want me to wait with you? I really don't like the idea of leaving you alone here. Especially now." Dalton holds my hand tightly.

"Dee it's fine. Go. Lu will be out from his last class in a minute, and besides I'm stood at the school doors. It'll be fine. Go." I wave him off with my free hand.

He pulls up the hand he is holding and places a kiss on the back of it. I repeat his action. "I love you, you know that right?"

My heart beats faster and I throw myself at him, letting out an excited squeal. I place what must be hundreds of kisses to the back of his hands and he smiles. "I love you too, even when you mess up the dance routine."

He scoffs, "oh please. You're the one that can't jump on the right beat." He teases, still smiling.

"Lies, but okay go."

"I love you my princess!" He tells over his shoulder before slamming the door. His voice echo is throughout the mostly empty space.

I shake my head, blowing him a kiss as he drives past me and out of the school parking lot.

I tap my foot, folding my arms as I scan the horizon.

Then everything stops.

Each step makes my heart beats falter, my breathing stutter.

I'm frozen. Useless.

Oh god.

"Daniel?" I whisper.

He's found us.
————
Words: 744

A/N : sorry for the shorter chapter, but the calm of the storm is officially over...

RunnersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara