29. Minute

ENZO POV:

The warehouse where she was being held was thirty minutes away.

We made it in eleven. One more minute. That's all it was. One more minute it took to get there. One more minute he didn't give us.

"Your team will enter from the back. Block all windows and remember, kill them all except Daniel. Capture not kill." Mattia instructed and the group of suited men snook round the back of the building.

Olly reached out and grabbed Jayden by the arm. "Luca isn't here yet. He would-"

"We need to hurry up! We don't have time to wait for him!" Mason hissed, despite the anger and hatred in his tone I knew he was just as scared as the rest of us. I agreed. She couldn't wait another minute.

We pushed forward, guns raised and ready for a fight. But there were no men on the other side. No bullets flying. It was empty.

Except for one thing.

Everyone stood there in shock as I stumbled over my feet trying to get to her. My shaky hands went either side of her face, I could hardly see through the wetness in my eyes. But the red streaks were clear. I cupped her cheeks, begging for her to open her eyes.

I pushed my head against her chest, praying and pleading to hear something. Anything.

My stomach churned, tears streaming down my face as I fell to my hands. I heaved, emptying the contents of my stomach on the ground by her dangling feet.

It's not true. This isn't true.

I ran my thumb along her bottom lip, tracing the shape to memory. "Please baby," I croaked, placing a delicate kiss to her closed eyelids. "It's time to open your eyes my love."

I struggled as I tried to carefully untie the ropes that bound her wrists together. They were red and the skin was raw, she was in pain. "What are you doing brother," Mattia held my wrists to halt my movement. His eyes were glassy and his voice too soft.

I turned my head just an inch to see the others still stood stone still. Jayden held Olly and Mason close to his chest, arms wrapped tightly around them as they sobbed. His eyes were staring at her, and I could see the emotions slipping from his face.

"I need to get her down. The ropes are hurting her wrists." I say, determined to get them off of her.

Mattia looks at me sympathetically, helping me untie them as he whispered "she can't feel it brother. She's not hurting anymore."

I ignored him. I ripped off the sleeve of my shirt and cover her neck as I ignored the deep slash on her throat. I ignored her cold stillness as I soothingly rubbed the rope burns. "I'll make it better, mi amor." I promised as i stared down at her head resting in my lap.

I felt my brothers strong arm wrap around my back, hugging me close. "I never got to tell her I loved her," my voice shook and I didn't fight the tears that slipped down my cheeks. I'd lost her. I'd lost mi alma.

Everyone is silent for what feels like eternity until there's a loud screech of tires halting. Boots thud against the stones as they race towards us.

He can't see her like this.

I gently place her down on the ground, hating myself for every step I take away from her as I rush towards the entrance. But I know this is what she'd want.

"Where is she? Where's my sister!" Lu races towards me as I close the door behind me.

"Gone." I whisper.

He shakes his head "gone where? Did you find her? Is she in there. Move, let me past!" He pushes at my shoulders. "Let me see my sister!" He screams. I place my hand on his chest to halt his movements. Dalton steps closer to us slowly.

"She's gone, Luca. She's not coming back" the reality hits me, and I feel my chest crack.

"What?" He brokenly whispers, tears welling in his eyes as he shakes his head in disbelief. "No. You're wrong. Let me in there, let me go to her. Please. She needs me." He begs.

He looks down, finally noticing my hand on his chest; the crimson seeping into my skin. He's silent and Dalton steps forward. Holding his right hand and tracing his finger over a spot on the back. "Where's my princess?"

"It's too late," I can't look them in the eyes. Dalton takes a step back, squeezing his hand to his chest as he shakes his head, eyes wide.

Lu drops to the ground, hands fisted as he tilts his head back. His eyes on the sky, he lets out a tormented scream.

Pain.

Its the sound of complete and utter pain.

He hangs his head, body heaving. The face of a broken man. "We- we we're too late. I promised."

I knew then nothing would ever be the same again. For any of us.

We were all broken now.