25. Month

A month. It's been over a month since Daniel found me. Spoke to me. Touched me.

I'd showered for hours when I got home, refusing to talk to Lu even though he could tell something was wrong.

If I tell you, he'll kill you.

Lorenzo refused to leave my side when he could, and that caused me to be more comfortable around him. Though I could never relax, I could feel Daniel watching me with every move.

At the end of the fourth week, in all honestly, I stopped being as afraid and cautious. Don't get me wrong, I was still terrified that every breath I took would be my last, but what if I'd finally caught a break. What if he's left town, got spooked by someone or something? Here's to hoping.

"What are you thinking so hard about, gorgeous?" Lorenzo asked, tapping my temple. This time spent with him meant I didn't feel pain. And I was damn hell proud of myself for that.

"Your big oaf head, that's what." He raised his brows at my response, his lips twitching.

"Is that so? Well," he leaned over me, placing one hand on the arm of the chair. The other hand twirled one of my curls around his index finger. "I'm glad you think about me as much as I think about you, hermosa." {beautiful}

I knew I was blushing as I shoved him back, huffing, and walking away. I could hear his laughter behind me. Teasing me was cruel, because I knew he'd never see me as anything more than the girl on the run from a gang, or his best friends sister. Not that I cared, because I don't. It doesn't matter if he likes me or not. I don't care.

"Mariposa! I hear you are doing your cheer at the end of the week at the football game?" Mattia appeared at my side, presumably from thin air. He does that a lot.

I nodded, "yeah. Jayden said you two couldn't make it. Something about a business meeting." I waved it off, shrugging my shoulders. In actuality, I was upset they couldn't make it.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. These meetings always run late." He smiled sympathetically and I told him not to worry.

It was fine, really. It meant I could watch the guys on the football team without being told off.

What? Football players have nice asses.

Don't tell Dalton I said that, his ego is already bigger than his ass.

——
My arms ached, my whole body covered in a thin layer of sweat as I planted; desperately trying to catch my breath.

"Go team!" Ciara squealed from front and centre, wiggling her blue pom-poms in the dusk sky.

Half-time had just started, and that was the cheer teams time to shine. Apparently it was to keep the crowds spirits up, but we had no issues with that. The winning team was doing that all on their own.

Lu came running over, closely followed by Dalton. Their hair was soaked in sweat, and as Dee opened up his arms and flashed me an evil grin, I knew I had to run. I spun around, my hair whipping my face and momentarily blocking my sight.

Two thick arms encircled my waist and I huffed when my feet left the ground. "Stop it!" I whined as Dalton spun me through the air. I'm going to be sick, I swear.

"We're winning!" He whispered in my ear as he put me back to my rightful place - back on the ground.

I faced him, mirroring his bright smile. "You're doing amazing," I tell him. "Both of you are," I smile over at Lu.

The whistle blows, and the boys finish guzzling down their water. "Wish me luck baby sis." Lu says, slightly out of breath. I seat his shoulder when he shakes his head, causing the water he'd poured on his hair to fly into my face.

"Go. You better win, or I'll kick your ass." I narrow my eyes.

"I doubt you'd be able to reach them, with your oompa-lumpa sized legs," he teased. Running off before I could show him exactly how hard I could kick his ass, with my 'oompa-loop a' legs.

"Bitch-tit!" I yell at his retreating figure.

I see his shoulders shake in laughter, "Dick-eyes!" He retorts as he jogs to the centre of the field.

I sit on the bench with a sigh, stretching my arms. "You we're pretty sexy out there, hermosa." A deep voice behind me causes me to jump slightly.

Peering over my shoulder, I roll my eyes. "Just out there?" I tease. The adrenaline has got my confidence skyrocketing, and I'm praying it doesn't come back and bite me in the ass.

He looks me up and down, slowly, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth. He shakes his head, eyes finally meeting mine. "Nah, all the time. Everyday. Me quitas el aliento." {you take my breath away}

I furrow my brows, "what does that mean? I remind you of a cute alien?"

"Yes, exactly that." He chuckles.  I narrow my eyes before turning to watch the game. I expect him to leave, but when I feel his hot breath on the back of my neck I know he's still there. And he's very, very close.

"Let me take you on a date." He whispers huskily, and I swear I just stopped breathing.

"You're funny, Lorenzo. Real funny." I say, slightly pissed. I know what he's doing, and I refuse to be another notch in his bedpost. "I thought you would at least remove me from your hit list, considering I'm your best friends sister and all." Idiot.

A hand lands on my shoulder, turning my body slightly to face a pissed off looking Lorenzo. "I'm serious." He runs a free hand through his hair, "let me take you out on a date. It's not like that, I promise you."

I roll my eyes. I refuse to let another thing cause me pain. God knows I've had enough of it to last me a lifetime. There's only so many times I can put myself back together again.

He groans in frustration, muttering under his breath. "Estoy loca por ti, y ni siquiera lo sabes." {I'm crazy about you, and you don't even know it}

I feel him fiddle with the ends of my hair, and he nods in finality. "Be ready for seven tomorrow." And he's gone before I can speak, but now before I see his small smile.

I'm not going. I don't care.

It's not like I want to go, at all.

Because if I wanted to go, that would mean I liked Lorenzo. And I don't.

I don't like Lorenzo.

He's just my brothers best friend.

——***——

Words: 1134

:))