3. Move

LILY POV:

We have been in Florida for just over two weeks. We found a motel, one on the nicer side with a coffee machine and complimentary biscuits! And we spent our days in the park, watching the days pass by in a blur. We even had enough money for me to rent out a CD player to use when I sneak into the local dance rooms at night.

That's what I'm currently doing. Waiting for Lu to pick the back door of the now empty studio, the half moon the only light source. "Can you move your big ass head Lily. I can't see shit."

I huff in annoyance but don't respond, moving my 'big ass head' out of the way. It's been a while since we had stayed in a place long enough to learn the schedule of when a studio would be open and empty. I have my black ballet pumps, that mother bought me when I was fifteen right before she died, in my hand and my foot taps impatiently on the concrete.

The click of the lock brings me back to the present and Luca ushers me inside, doing one last survey of the outdoor surroundings after wiping down the handle. "Which one do you want me to do tonight?" I ask, placing down the CD player and hovering my finger above the buttons. I found the classical disc the same day I found the player, and I honestly felt like I was on cloud nine.

He thinks for a moment, making his way across to the other side of the room and switching on the flashlight so I can see my surroundings when I dance. We can't risk turning on the main light and having the police called. "Track three. I like that one." He smiles.

I tie on my ballet pumps and begin quickly stretching out my body; lifting my legs one at a time onto the pointe bar. I press play on the player, the music playing softly - loud enough for us to hear but not a passerby outside. I take a deep breath in, watching my chest rise in the mirror, before exhaling.

I raise my arms above my head in an arch, placing both heels together...and just let go.

When I dance, it's though I listen to the musics call, and my body gives its own response. Moving to each note with loose, graceful movements and feeling as though the very air I breathe is freedom. Expression. Love.

By the end, I'm slightly out of breath. A result of not being able to practice as much as I used to. Lu gives me a standing ovation, his beaming face telling me what he thinks without words. I bow at the waist and can't help but mirror his smile.

"That was beautiful princess. You always somehow manage to get better and better!" He gushed. I let out a breath of relief, now knowing that my time away from ballet hasn't magically stolen my ability.

"Come, we need to leave before the sun starts rising." He moves towards the bar, using his sleeved forearm to wipe down any places I touched, turns off the flashlight and waits for me by the door.

After changing back into my boots, I use the sleeve of the hoody I'm wearing (which may or may not actually belong to Luca) to wipe down the inside handle while he holds the door with his elbow.

The door automatically locks shut as it closes, and we link our pinkies before walking down the street.

****
"Lu?" He hums indicating for me to continue while he redoes his laces. "Do you think we will ever get to go back to highschool?" He freezes at my question, obviously not expecting that. Especially from me of all people.

"What's brought this on?"

I fiddle with my fingers and look away from his face, "I don't know. I guess I just don't know how we're going to ever have a normal life if we don't even get to senior year. How can we keep running for our whole life?"

I see the flash of guilt in his eyes but he replies before I can speak, "it won't be forever. I'm sure of it." It feels like he's really trying to convince himself. "One day, we will get to graduate and I will get to watch you perform on a stage in a performance solely centred around you. And you will get to open your academy that you always talk about, and teach kids who can't afford to pay for dance."

I can't help but smile at his words, imagining him on the field being broadcasted to the entire country on TV after going pro in football. That's always been his dream and he knows that I'll be in the front row for every single one of his games no matter what.

But just as quickly as the idea came, it's submerged to an unreachable depth by reality. "I'm so tired Lu. Of not being able to stay in one place for more than a month. Always having to be alert and watching our surroundings. Barely having enough food to split between us and sleeping on those god awful mattresses. I'm so tired." He immediately pulls me into a tight hug and strokes the back of my hair comfortingly.

"I know, I know. But one day we won't have to move around again. I'm making this promise to you, as your big brother, I'm going to fix everything. I don't know how yet, but I will. Promise." He pulls back just enough to stick out his pinkie finger and I link them together. He cups my face, "now let's play some football so I can kick your ass!" I can't help but laugh.

I currently have the ball tucked close to my chest as I  glance over my shoulder to see the six foot giant charging at me like a bull. I'm not even halfway across the field before arms wrap around my waist and I let out a shriek of surprise as I'm tackled to the ground. The ball doesn't leave my arms.

I can barely breathe at this point, my body stinky with sweat, whereas Luca is perfectly fine. Asshole.

Thinking quickly I let out a cry of pain and he immediately leaps off of me like I've burned his skin. "Lily are you okay? Shit. Fuck I didn't mean to tackle you that hard." Hi pushes the oak curls from my face only to be met with my devilish grin. "What the-"

He doesn't get to finish before I shoot up from the ground and practically fly to the other end of the field, slamming the ball to the ground and letting out a shout of victory, "oh yeah I'm the best. I rock. You suck!" I pause my sprinkler dance move to point at him, "you're also heavy as fuck Lu, so I get your half of the snickers bar tonight."

He goes to object but I intercept, "it also hurt like a bitch so you owe me for that. Bitch-tit." He rolls his eyes but agrees. "God you have such foul language. Where the fuck did you learn that shit from?" He shakes his head in mock disappointment. "Just this once, dick-eyes. Now let's go home. We need to figure out our next slip."

—**—
Words:1216

A/N : what's the time right now as you're reading this?