20. Knock

LILY POV:

I was officially freaking out. I was going to a party. Me. For the first time in my life. A. Party. Me. Help.

I threw another item of clothing onto the floor, flipping down on the bed and letting out a sigh of defeat. At this rate, I don't even think I'm going. I have nothing to wear. Ha. Now that's something I find ironically funny.

"Knock knock," a cheery voice filters into the room. I lean my weight into my elbows, raising my eyebrow at Oliver.

"You don't need to actually say knock, you know."

He glances at the clothes strewn about the room. Lu is going to be pissed for sure. "I know that, but when I do it I feel like I'm making sound effects for an old vintage cartoon." 

I open my mouth, then close it again, deciding it best to just go along with Oliver and his odd inner workings of the brain. I've found it easier to talk to him without stuttering, and of course Lu never lets me forget how proud he is of me for that fact.

I fall back down onto the bed, "I don't know what to wear!" I whine. "There's a small get together with Ciara and I want to look nice, bu I don't know if I'm ready to go all dressy. You know?"

He nods his head with a serious expression. "Hot to look at, but not hot that you wear cooling clothes." What is this guy on? I want some. "Why not wear some shorts or something. They're pretty and safer." A sad look flashes across his eyes.

"Don't let anybody touch you, okay? If you don't want them to, you tell them and then you tell me." I gulp, guilt suddenly rising from the pits of my stomach. Oh Olly, it doesn't work out like that.

Nonetheless, I nod and he offers a small smile. "Good. Have a fun night," he pauses before the door. "No drinking, drugs, and no boys!" He mimics Jayden before he leaves and I chuckle.

After another twenty minutes of looking through everything I own, and everything Lu owns, I finally decide on an outfit. Deciding to be on the safer side I picked my light blue ripped jeans, a large hole above the knee and thigh, and a small black laced bodysuit. There's a faint floral pattern on the material, and I think it helps add to the look of being 'dressed up but not dressy'.

Knowing how my brothers would react, I pick up Daltons denim jacket that reaches mid thigh, and throw it on over the top.

"Okay Lu, let's get going. Ciara said to be there at eight and it's already 8.15." I shout as I jog down the stairs. I pause for a minute, the fast movement cussing black spots to appear in my vision. My grip on the handrail tightens briefly before I straighten up again.

"Are you okay?" I freeze, the last person I expected to ask me that question stands in the entryway to the kitchen.

"Y-yes Mason. I'm f-fine." Damn you for stuttering. It's just, seeing him scowl at me everyday reminds me of him. Of Daniel.

He lets out a grunt then leaves without another word. That was weird. We've been here for a month now and he hasn't even tried to have a conversation, let alone even talk to me civilly.

Wow. A month. And they still haven't figured out anything that happened to us. Damn, we're good at this.

———

We pull up to a large house, a wrap around porch and white picket fence. The all American stereotypical home. I look around, half expecting to see the American flag waving in the wind.

Few people are huddled in small groups on the front lawn, red solo cups in hand as the laugh and talk with eachother. I can feel the music already, the deep bass already audible through the thick tinted windows.