11. Claim

LILY POV:

The noise emitting from the cafeteria could be heard from the end of the corridor, triggering my sensitive nerve endings and ear drums. okay, that might seem a little dramatic, but its terrifying. especially knowing that its filled with people and I'm going to have to walk in there. No thank you!

Dalton opens up the door and it creaks, so loudly, that it echoes throughout the entire room. Great. Of course it does, because nothing ever goes right. Heads turn, but I can't recognise any faces as all I can see is a mix of brown, blonde, and red hair. It's like that Van Gogh painting. Except its not blue swirly swirls. That's a cool painting.

"Are you coming?" I look slightly off to my side and notice Dalton standing in front of me now. Huh, when did he move. I shake my thought-boggled mind, and follow him once again.

"Dalton?" I whisper, and he hums, tilting his head down so that he can hear me better. "I don't know where I'm going to sit. I don't-"

"Liliana!" a furious voice booms through the air. Oh shit. I spot Luca storming over from one of the back tables, glaring at the boy beside me who hasn't moved an inch. Oh! Just now realising how close we are, and what it could've looked like from Lu's angle, I jump away from Dalton as if he's poison.

"Ah fuck." I mumble, causing Dalton to laugh. This only results in my brother, his nostrils flaring and his eyes twitching, to sneer at him. "Who the fuck  are you?"

Dalton glances down at me, a smirk forming on his face. "Well..." he starts leaning in closer to me and my eyes go wide. "Me and my princess are-" he's cut off when he is tossed out of my line of sight.

"Your WHAT!" Lu almost screams. Well shitballs, this isn't going to end well. He is holding Dalton by the collar of his shirt, but said boy is just smiling. "My. Princess."

Lu swings a clenched fist to his face, connecting with the side of his nose. Everyone in the cafeteria is watching, and I would be embarrassed if I wasn't more pissed off at the fact that my twin brother is currently beating the shit out of my first friend since...well ever.

"For fuck sake!" I huff. Now its me who is storming over to the two boys. I can feel my control starting to slip, but at least I'm not thinking about burning the cafeteria. Yet.

I catch an elbow to the gut when Lu prepares for another hit, but it doesn't reach its intended target when I use two fingers to pinch his right ear. I tug at it, and he lets out an 'ow'. I glare at Lu's ear, as though that's the offender, and say in a low voice, "you better calm the fuck down Luca. Or I'm going to lose my shit."

He instantly stops trying to fight. "Yes. Sorry Lily," his voice laced with shame. I focus my attention on Dalton, who is just watching the scene between us twins with interest. "Are you okay?" he nods.

Lu clears his throat, and gestures for us to make our way to the table he left. His eyes never leave Dalton. Oliver and Mason are sat down, a fiery red head next to the latter. As we get closer I realise she isn't next to Mason, but rather sat on his lap. I guess that's...nice?

She turns her whole attention to me, and I notice the almost see through eyes, perfectly arched brows and small button nose. Her skin looks soft and mark free. I bet she doesn't have words engraved in her body like she was a toy piece of clay.

"This is what you deserve, you dirty slut." he sneers from above me. One of his hands pushes my face into the soaked pillow, the other holds the knife. I try to free myself, but pulling against the ropes holding my wrist only adds to the pain. To the fear. He pushes the tip of the knife to my lower back and I scream as he shreds apart my skin. Leaving his mark forever. 'Claiming my body like a toy. Branding me. Dirty'.

"Hi there! I'm Ciara." her chipper voice calls me back to the present. She holds out a manicured hand, her nails painted a light blue. Well this is awkward babe, I cant touch your hand. It's not you its me. Actually, its my *trauma*. Not funny.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Liliana." I smile. She looks a bit offended I didn't shake her hand, but I don't feel like getting into my issues with a person I met like 5 seconds ago. Retracting her hand, she looks between Dalton and I, "So! Are you two...?" she waggles her eyebrows. Uhh...I've not even been here a day.

This gains my other brothers attention as their heads snap in her direction "No!" Mason demands. Go away, Mr mean man. "This is my new friend Dalton," I smile up at him and he mirrors it. Each of the boys look sceptical, but still allow us to sit at their table. Which, might I add, Mason doesn't look happy about in the slightest.

"So Liliana, are you interested in any clubs? We have a great cheer team. I'm actually the captain!" Ciara chirps.  I like how happy she seems to be all the time. That must be nice.

"Like she could join the team. Look at her. She practically cowers behind her brother. Its pathetic." Mason scoffs. Well first of all, fuck you! And second of all, fuck off!

"You have no idea what she's like." Lu chuckles darkly. I know exactly what he's thinking about, exactly what image he can see. This seems to pique Masons interest as he sits up slightly straighter, causing Ciara to huff. "What does that mean?" Lu just shakes his head, ignoring him.

Lu turns back to me. He flattens out a piece of my stray hair from my temple, "you want me to get you some food? They have chocolate chip muffins!" Hell yeah! "Yes please, Lu." He gets up, give one last warning look to Dalton, and makes his way towards the dwindling line of students.

Oliver has a proud look on his face, "Well, little sis. I had no idea you could be like that with your twin. It was scarily cool!" and so the embarrassment wins over the pissed. "When do Lorenzo and Mattia get back anyway? I Know Jayden misses Mattia, even though he refuses to admit it"

Mason mulls this over in his head, "he said probably two weeks last time we spoke three days ago." he responds. He then instantly goes closer to Ciara and slams his mouth against hers. They look like they are eating each others faces off, the noise of saliva and her moans instantly make me cringe. Here? Right now?

All of a sudden, a black fabric blocks my view. Dalton is holding up his bag so I don't have to witness the grossness in front of me. He must have seen my discomfort. He rolls his eyes 'gross right?' he mouths. I let out a small laugh.

After Lu returned with our food, which I inhaled, Dalton quietly explained what he meant by 'claim to me'. Its essentially just putting me under his protection, and warning other students that anything they do to me, they better have the guts to do to him. Thank you, obedient students of this school, this will make my life so much easier.

I mostly kept quiet, Lu holding my hand for reassurance, but Ciara did try to include me in the conversation with the other boys. Dalton mainly only spoke to me and Lu. I was also grateful that Dalton hadn't even thought of making actual physical contact with me, and he didn't even question it. I feel like I can trust him, and that in time I could be able to trust him enough for touch.

Sports was hell, but at least I had Ciara. The other girls sniggered at my leggings instead of short shorts, but I couldn't have everyone seeing the scars on my thighs. Plus, having the boys sports lesson be on the opposite side of the same room didn't help. Though Lu, Dalton, and Oliver all sent me smiles; Mason just...you guessed it! Glared.

By the end of the day I was pleased and proud. Lu had managed to make a bunch of friends on the football team, and I managed to make two friends in one day! Sitting next to Lu on the car ride home, I had this overwhelming feeling that things would be better here. Things wouldn't hurt. We could be happy.

--**--

Words: 1467