Chapter Thirty Five

Alice POV

I looked to the contraption staring at me in the bathroom. There was so many different buttons |I had no idea how it worked. Why didn't it just have a simple on and off switch? I really didn't want to bother Alex again but I didn't want to make a mess of his shower. Giving in I trudged back to his room, thankfully it was only his bathroom so it was connected. I didn't have to go far.

"Alex, your shower has a better brain than I do," I mumbled out as I played with my hands. 

"What?" Alex laughed out confused, he was just laid on his bed playing on a phone. He hadn't taken Alistairs room which was usually the Alphas room. He had stayed in his own room which was much smaller but much cosier. His bed was neatly made with plain grey bedding. A set of drawers was set up by the winder with two side tables on either side of the bed, and there was an ottoman sat right at the foot of the bed too. A TV hung on the wall opposite with a couple of gaming systems underneath, they seem to be upgraded gaming systems from what I remember though. 

"Your shower, why does it have so many buttons?" I huffed out in annoyance. He just looked at me with an amused expression before swinging himself off his bed and heading towards me. 

"I'll show you what to press," he chuckled, as he brushed passed me, he briefly buried his head into my neck and took in a whiff of my scent. Was this something wolves did? Don't get me wrong he smelt good, his scent was just constantly around me when he was near. Did I not smell that strongly? Maybe I smelt bad?

I followed him back into the bathroom to see him press just one of the buttons at the top of the white box. Within seconds water was shooting from the shower head. I rolled my eyes before I started to strip off my clothes.

"Woah woah, I'll give you some privacy," Alex quickly said before dashing out the room. Thea whined in my head as our mate left. 

He should have showered with us. She mumbled. 

Mentally rolling my eyes I climbed into the shower and let the hot soothing water run down my dirty skin. I couldn't remember the last time I had a proper shower. Being in wolf form for so long I just groomed myself. Weird thought. 

--

"Come, some food has been made in the pack kitchen," Alex grinned at me as he took my hand after I came out the bathroom in some fresh  leggings and loose top. Clothes he had borrowed from Mason's mate. I would need to remember to thank her. 

Sparks flew up my arm from where our skin connected and it sent a wave of euphoria through my body. 

"Does the pack know who I am yet?" I asked nervously as we made our way down the stairs. 

"Not yet, but I will be making an announcement in the coming days, if that's okay? I don't want to hide it from them," Alex looked at me with a look of sadness or was it pity? Being a black wolf had caused me nothing but problems. 

Do you hate me? Thea whined.

Never. Were in this together. I responded to her. She yapped back in happiness before retreating back into my mind. 

The smell of chicken, burgers, chips and various other foods started to fill my nose as we made our way into the kitchens. There was some people I recognised from the last time I was here. The doctor who treated me was here, Hayley I think her name was? Mason was of course here with a girl clinging to his arm. She must be his mate, I think they said her name was Suzie? She was beautiful. She had long brown here with glittery blue eyes. She was wearing a summery yellow dress that clung to her hips and was currently whispering something into his ear which was making Mason smirk. Was this how mates were supposed to act? Was this how Alistair was supposed to be with me? The three warriors that attacked me that time with mason was also here.

There was more people in here than I had intended to meet but it was all people I knew, and who knew me. Did this mean I was safe?

"Don't worry, no one will hurt you here," Alex purred into my ear encouraging me to come in. I shyly hid my face behind my long white hair and clung onto Alex's hand. Maybe I should have gone with my Uncle Luke instead? "Hayley could you come here a second?" Alex called her over.

She came bounding over with a smile on her face and gave Alex a nod in respect.

"Yes Alpha?" she asked him before taking a big bite of her cheeseburger. 

"This is Alice. Alice Locke," Alex introduced. Her eyes opened wide and she  stopped mid bite.

"I'm sorry can you repeat that, I think I misheard," she whispered. Her gaze locked onto me and I shied behind Alex. She was never bad to me, but still.

"This is Alice Locke, she's my mate," Alex repeated. 

"How is that possible? I thought she was.. and shes mated too... huh?" the look of confusion was laughable. I would have laughed if it was a different situation. 

"Seems there's been a twist in fate," Mason piped up as he walked up behind Hayley. Suzie quietly in tow. 

"I'll say," Hayley laughed, "So how have you been Alice?"

"I've been better," I stuttered out with a smile. 

"I'm sure the vampires were amazing hosts," Mason grinned sarcastically. 

"Behave Mason," Suzie swatted him which made him dip his head in submission to his mate. It was strange to see him act this way. 

"Sorry," he mumbled out. I couldn't help but let out a giggle.

"You have a beautiful laugh," Alex whispered into my ear. I shied away at his compliment obviously not being used to them. 

"You're making her nervous," Suzie commented as she came up to with an encouraging smile which warmed my heart. She had the kind of smile that you could just tell she was kind hearted. Maybe we could be friends. That was a strange concept, I hadn't had any friends since my old pack when I was back at school surrounded by my parents. My family. Sadness took over my body. Lowering my eyes, I wrapped my free arm around my body. 

"Hayley could you look her over in the pack hospital, being where she was I want to make sure she's okay," Alex asked Hayley, concern was laced through his voice. Alex hadn't taken his eyes off me the whole time, I could feel them burning through the top of my head. This only caused me to chew on my lip making my even more nervous. Were they really telling the truth that Alistair wasn't here anymore? 

Alex is the Alpha now, he can't here now Alice. Relax. Mate will protect us.  Thea purred through my mind. 

It still didn't help. What if he came back? He was the one who betrayed me to the vampires. What if Alex did the same?